Thursday, February 04, 2010

Simple Kind of Love Song.

I had set out to write this song about a certain someone, and as I was writing it and re-reading what I wrote, it dawned on me, "Hey, this is actually sort of about my disability." It's sort of how I felt for awhile when it comes to guys. I want to scream to them, "Hey, I'm not complicated, I'm just like you, so why do all these other girls get all your attention?" I'm right here; love can be simple if it's important to you...

Last night I told you that she doesn't deserve you
But I don't think you really heard what I meant to say
I know I shouldn't be feeling the way I do
And I definitely shouldn't be what I'm about to
You have a way of making it so hard to think straight
You're the shadow I see in the dark, like a message in a bottle, you're tucked in my heart

I could say I'm sorry, but I'm not
I could lie, but why when it's you I really want?

This is a simple kind of love song
From one person to another
No pressure, no fear, no expectations
I'm just like you, trying to make a connection
Yet everybody these days seems to think I'm wrong
It sounds so simple, doesn't it?
But on nights like these, when I'm stuck here thinking about you
Believe me, it's easier said than done
In this simple kind of love song

Did I ever tell you I wrote this in my head?
At 4 in the morning in this lonely hotel bed
How is it you can make me see
Everything I want to be?
And that other girl, she doesn't even know how lucky she is
'Cause she gets all of you without even trying

I could say I'm sorry, but I'm not
I could lie, but why when it's you I really want?

This is a simple kind of love song
From one person to another
No pressure, no fear, no expectations
I'm just like you, trying to make a connection
Yet everybody these days seems to think I'm wrong
It sounds so simple, doesn't it?
But on nights like these, when I'm stuck here thinking about you
Believe me, it's easier said than done
In this simple kind of love song

It's so easy to let go and talk to you
Wish I could be that girl
For the first time, I can finally be myself with you
Wish you'd see me like you see her

This is a simple kind of love song
From one person to another
No pressure, no fear, no expectations
I'm just like you, trying to make a connection
Yet everybody these days seems to think I'm wrong
It sounds so simple, doesn't it?
But on nights like these, when I'm stuck here thinking about you
Believe me, it's easier said than done
In this simple kind of love song

Last night I told you that she doesn't deserve you
But I don't think you really heard what I meant to say...


[Photo via Le Love]

11 comments:

  1. wait...you *wrote* these lyrics? this isn't an existing song? the lyrics are powerful and so evocative, i could almost hear it being sung in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is amazing! I totally agree with Linz... it sounds like something that already exists. The lyrics remind me a little of some of my favorite Jimmy Eat World songs (my favorite band). This is so incredibly powerful and real and if some music producer/ singer doesn't snatch these up soon, then the whole world must be mad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh, so i'm pretty speechless. You two are awesome....it's funny because I can write the lyrics, but have trouble with the music part. I need to find my other half a la Rogers and Hammerstein. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please, please, please submit this somewhere, Melissa? Oh, I would absolutely love to hear this come on the radio!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, how fun would that be, Erika??? Have NO idea where to start, though! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good thing is I'm organizing all these in a binder, you know, in case that long shot becomes a little shorter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a seriously good ...
    Someone with connections are you reading ....
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! that is amazing.
    you're very talented! :)
    hopefully one day these lyrics will be sung all over the world. providing sympathy to all of us girls who have crushes on that guy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to find my other half a la Rogers and Hammerstein

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin