Monday, August 01, 2011

Birthday Week: Where I'm Going.

Predictability. I'm a pretty big fan of it. Quite a huge fan, actually. In fact, if predictability had a fan club, I would probably be its president. I make no secret of the fact that I like order and crave rules. In short: Uncertainty is bad.

As my 30th birthday rolls around, I'm learning more and more that the future is the most certainly unpredictable thing in the world. And frankly, that scares me to no end sometimes. I like to know where I'm going, I like my goals to be firmly in place - I never, under any circumstances, want to fly by the seat of my pants, lest they should just fly off into the wind and I'm left there red-faced and embarrassed. Don't we all want to be able to map out our future and have everything neatly fall into place, just as we want and expect it to? Maybe it has something to do with wanting to be in control. We all like to think we are masters of our own universe, that we are fully in control of our destinies and if something goes wrong, we can immediately fix it. Everything will quickly be right with the world once we get things back on the path we've carved out for ourselves.

I often wonder about where I'm going and where I'll be in the future. Do you ever wonder about that, friends? So much has happened in the first 30 years of my life, and I can't help but think that the next 30 will be full of twists and turns and lots of surprises. So what do I want to accomplish? A sampling of my own bucket list:

*Write for Glamour magazine I've already got the blog covered!).
*Publish Letters To My Future Husband in book form.
*Travel with wild abandon around Europe.
*Continue to surround myself with loving family and friends.
*Fall in love, or at least stop the whole crushing-from-afar thing.
*BE HAPPY.
The truth is, we don't know exactly where we're going. We can put our end destination into the GPS of our life, but we can never be positive we'll arrive at our destination on time, or at all, for that matter. Our future sometimes has other plans in store for us, and I don't want to be one of those people who is so focused on one path that I become closed off to the possibilities of a different path.

So, maybe I don't know exactly where I'm going. But I do know that I look forward to the ride there.

[Photos via I Can, I Will]

11 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you get everything! The future scares me to, since I love to be in control. But I'm learning to live in the moment!

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

such great goals! you are inspiration, friend! thank you. :)

Melissa Blake said...

thanks! hope you both are having great days! :)

Stacey said...

well said Melissa! great attitude you have too! xx

April said...

thanks for posting, i've been struggling in figuring out my long term future which scares me but i'm learning the best thing i can do is take it day by day and see where it leads me, as hard as that can be! as people we like to be in control of our lives but it's best to know that that doesn't always happen, life throws you surprises and sometimes those surprises can turn out to be better than anything we ever imagined for ourselves :)

Wendy said...

Bucket List's have been on my mind today, as well. I've never been one to worry too much about the future instead trying very hard to keep the present moment secure. (I'm telling you, Melissa, wonderful things are coming your way!) :)

Belly B said...

It's always scary when we think about life in the long term, and if we'll get everything we've always wanted. It's such a struggle to remind ourselves to focus on the ride instead! It really helps to have a bucket list though!

Belly B :)

Camylla Leonardi said...

very well written! Thinking of the future can be scary at times. But its important to just have a good time!

so happy to have come across your blog!
new follower <3

Lots of love
simplycamylla.blogspot.com

Spangle said...

Great post! I'm nowhere near where I wanted to be, when I contemplated turning 30. However, the unplanned stuff that makes life more interesting!

The future is scary but ironically, it's inevitable that it's going to happen.

Thanks for the comment you left on my blog and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts!

Melissa Blake said...

hi, camylla! :)

These words are so true!! xoxo

Mae @ Kitchen doors said...

Just have faith... You're so inspiring

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin