Thursday, February 02, 2012

Love Lounge: What does love mean to you?

Love. It's probably the most powerful four-letter word in the English language -- well, aside from some other choice words, which I won't go into since I'm such a prude, remember? But love...it's talked about. It's sung about. It's felt. It angers us. It makes us smile. It frustrates it. It confuses us. And sometimes, it even makes us just want to throw our hands up in the air and scream, " I give up!" But for some reason, we never give up. On love, I mean. It's the one thing we always keep running back to. Maybe because we know that as miserable as it makes us sometimes, the thought of being completely without love makes us even more miserable. Maybe we know that we wouldn't be the people we are without love in our lives. Maybe because, like oxygen, love is something we need if we're ever going to survive in this crazy, unpredictable world.
With Valentine's Day coming up, I've been thinking even more about love lately -- what it means, why we need it, the different types of love -- and I think I've figured something out: I'll never figure love out. But that's OK because I'm sort of enjoying just seeing where it takes me. But I do know one thing: Love means the world to me.

So, tell me, friends, what does love mean to you? What does it mean to love your mother? Sister? Husband? Best friend? Let's chat about all things lovey-dovey! xoxo

P.S. And speaking of love, I've got lots of Valentine's Day-themed posts planned for next week. I'm so excited to share them with you, friends!! :)

[Top graphic via Someecards, bottom photo via Le Love]

8 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Love doesn't really mean a thing to me. It's relative.

Anonymous said...

Endlessly interesting topic!

I always think about this when asked "When did you first fall in love?" It's so hard to answer. When I was 12 and loved the boy next to me in math class, was that real? Of course. It wasn't the same as an adult relationship, but that doesn't make it any less valid. In my 12 year old heart it was real.

I love a bunch of people in my life and no two the same. I dearly love my best friend (who is a guy) but it's nothing like I love my boyfriend - however I don't love either one more or less than the otehr. Apples and oranges.

As the Beatles say:

There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all


OK the rest of the song goes on to day he loves someone else more...heh but I do agree with the first stanza. :-)

Patricia Villamil said...

I have come to learn a new kind of love: love for my child! It's the most overwhelming feeling I've ever experienced.

Laurie Sublime said...

Real Love, to me, means willingness to put the person you love (be it your significant other, parent, child, sibling, etc) before yourself. I am blessed to feel Real Love for others in my life and to have others feel Real Love for me - I cannot ask for more. Thanks for asking, Melissa!

Apple said...

Love means everything to me :) I couldn't spend my life with someone, live with someone, or have a job that I don't love.

Melissa Blake said...

Anon, one of my favorite Beatles songs!!

Melissa Blake said...

that's so sweet, patricia! And apple, yes, definitely, on having love for your job! xoxo

SG Angela said...

love is something that will continue to interest and frustrate us regardless of time. love is about caring, appreciation, happiness and selflessness.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin