Wednesday, April 25, 2012

If you could eat dinner with 6 people...?

Over lunch a few months ago, my friend Lexi and I got to talking about the people we would choose to sit around our dream dinner table. Lexi didn't have any trouble thinking of her Top 6, which included history makers and pop culture icons, but surprisingly, the task was harder than I thought. I had to think about it for awhile, and then I came up with this list...

*Martin Luther King Jr. for his knowledge and wisdom.
*Lady Gaga for being such a powerfully positive role model.
*Elvis because, really, who doesn't want to be serenaded?
*Diane Sawyer for her journalistic advice and inspiration.
*Ellen, so we can finally meet.
*Stephen Colbert because there's nothing like a guy who makes you laugh.

Who makes your list, friends? Is there anyone you'd include that might surprise people? What would you serve? I'd be SO nervous! xoxo

P.S. Special thanks to Rachael and Becca for letting me guest post on their wonderful blogs this week. You can read the posts here and here. Thanks for inviting me to your "dinner table," ladies! :)


  1. I would choose: Gregory David Roberts, George Strait, Kiel James Patrick and Sarah Vickers, Nancy Reagan and Matthew McConaughey.

  2. This is a hard one! Bill Clinton, Jon Hamm, Tina Fey, Michelle Obama, Usher, and my husband (so I'm not tempted to go home with any of these men ;)

  3. Wow, interesting question! I would choose: Paulo Coelho, Bono, Diane Von Furstemberg, Barbra Streisand, Penelope Cruz and Bill Gates. I would serve Spanish food and yes, I would be very very excited!

  4. These are awesome lists! Nicole...I completely forgot about Clinton and Obama!! :)

  5. Elsa, Spanish foods sounds so wonderful! xoxo

  6. Mine would HAVE to be family members whom I never got to meet or really know... plus a few that got to grow up with them and know them. I'm so engrossed in knowing why I am the way I am and where I came from. A table full of family who can tell old stories and explain things that would give me a better understanding of my family history would mean the world to me!

    Great Grandma Madalene (past)
    Grandma Jo (past)
    Grandpa Ugo (past)
    Mom (still here)
    Aunt Jean (still here)
    Uncle Jim (still here)

  7. 1. Paul Newman
    2. Dolly Parton
    3. Tina Fey
    4. John Keats
    5. Beverly Cleary
    6. My grandpa

    I think this group would make for a fun, witty, interesting get together!

  8. Dr. King- I greatly admired him and everything he did.

    Stan "The Man" Musial- I'm a lifelong St. Louis Cardinals fan, and he's the standard to which every other Cardinal player is held to. Besides, he was my father's boyhood idol, and I would love to be able to tell him that.

    John Lennon- He was my boyhood idol. I was devastated when he was murdered.

    Eamon McEneaney- Here's my surprise dinner guest. Eamon was a member of the Cornell men's lacrosse team from 1975 to 1977, and is widely considered to the one of the greatest ever to play the game. He played in the first lacrosse game I ever went to, the 1977 NCAA Championship, and I fell in love with the game on the spot. Suffice it to say, he's a large part of that love I have for lacrosse. Unfortunately, Eamon was in the North Tower of the WTC on 9/11, and died in the attack. But his legacy will alwaysa live on.

    My Parents- My dad's been gone since October 13, 1978, and my Mom passed away on May 20, 2004. I still miss them to this day.

    There ya go; my six dinner guests.

  9. Dave Grohl (because I have a huge crush on him)
    Mark Twain (because of his wit).
    Oprah (because she's an example of a strong, smart, self made woman).
    Steve Martin (because he's a wild and crazy guy).
    J.K. Rowling (because of her imagination).
    Mahatma Gandi (because of his wisdom).

    Here's the catch, I'd want these people to come as their 25 year old selves. I'd love to hear what was going through their minds as young adults.

    I'd serve pizza, the kind like you'd find in Italy- with only the best and freshest ingredients. And good red wine. I'd want the atmosphere to be relaxed and fun but still elegant. I imagine everyone sitting on big pillows on the floor, sipping wine and having deep conversations. Sigh, if only...

    Cool blog topic, Melissa!

  10. Sting- most important guest, really. He's right next to me, that's for sure! He's the reason I became a musician!
    Kevin Kline - just seems fun, clever and interesting
    Elizabeth Enright- one of my favorite authors PLUS the grandniece of Frank Lloyd Wright
    Walt Disney- need I explain why?
    Harry Connick, jr- uhhhhhmazing pianist and is hilarious at live shows
    Nigella Lawson - delicious and sexy. She'd take care of any potential awkwardness.

  11. Here is my list in no particular order:

    Idi Amin
    Pol Pot
    the Rev. Jim Jones
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    the Marquis de Sade

  12. 1) my grandpa
    2) lady gaga
    3) michael jackson
    4) chelsea handler
    5) tina fey
    6) dolly parton

    when I saw Mandy's list I had to steal those last two! tina fey is hilarious and dolly seems too sweet! :)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin