Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tips for single women from 1938

Can you imagine opening the new issue of Glamour magazine and finding these tips inside? My mind nearly exploded over the one that advised women to "flatter your date by talking about the things he wants to talk about."

Thank goodness my grandmother never followed these rules! It makes you wonder if we'll look back years from now and say, "Wow, women in 2012 were so archaic...)

What dating "rules" do you think are crazy nowadays, friends? Do you follow them? Why or why not? xoxo

P.S. A new Disabilities In The Media is coming your way soon! :)

[Via Retronaut]


  1. The language is condescending and encourages the woman to be submissive, but I gotta say I think some of this does still apply. You should be on time for your date, behaving openly bored when talking with someone is never polite, and you should always give your date your full attention. I feel like a lot of this advice is still out there, we just manage to phrase it better. Like, just don't go on a second date with a man you find boring but be courteous during the date. The problem with this is it seems to imply that you should keep dating someone you find boring and can look forward to a lifetime of always keeping the subject on his interests! Also, I'm all against distracting people who are driving, but if the problem is that he's too lazy to turn around, he might not be a very good driver to begin with!

  2. I love Laura's response! Of course, we should all be polite, gracious and attentive to the people around us, but I definitely grope John's ear in public–and he makes exactly that face! These days, I think the rules would be 'Don't text in someone else's company', and 'Snapping photos of your food on a first date might be considered weird'!

  3. I totally agree with Laura about the language being condescending, but the concepts hold true today.

  4. Ditto to Lena's "don't text rule."

    Also, I find it interesting that women are making rules for themselves. For instance, "5 dates until the first sleepover", "no kissing on the first date" or "Can't sleep with over 10 men," things like that.

  5. I love reading things like this! So interesting!

  6. I agree with Lena's two points. This was a different time though, but I admit I do agree with most of the 'rules' but in a different language. I hate when people chew open mouthed, date or no date.

  7. These responses are so interesting. Laura, you're right -- it's all about how you phrase things.

  8. Shannon, ditto! I'm still not sure how I feel about those types of rules...guess women just have to find out what works for them.

  9. I agree with all of the above comments that being polite and corteous is great. Actually the most offensive (or silly) part is the way the guy is pouting and sulking in the photos, like a spoiled child. Geez how about a rule to be a gentleman even if you don't plan on asking out the lady again? :-)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin