Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Question of the Week: Question #25

Confession: I'm a wee bit obsessed with Frasier. OK, maybe a little more than a bit, but it's always been more than just a sitcom to me. And after watch all 250-plus episodes, I consider myself a Frasier expert of sorts. Have a question? I'd love to hear it, so feel free to email me (mellow1422 [at] aol) or ask me on Facebook or Twitter, friends! Today's question...

What life lessons has Dr. Frasier Crane and company taught you?
One of the characters is a lovable dog named Eddie. Another is a yellow, green and brown chair from the 1950s.

What, you've never watched an episode of Frasier, the hit NBC comedy that aired from 1993 to 2004, possibly the finest piece of television ever made? How could you miss out on the glory of television's golden moment?

Here's a movie trailer-style summary: Frasier Crane, who first appeared on Cheers, moves to Seattle to work as a radio psychiatrist. He lives with his retired police detective father, Martin, Martin's dog (and Frasier's enemy), Eddie and Daphne Moon, Martin's home health care worker. Frasier enjoys the finer things in life with his clone-like brother, Niles. Wine. Opera. The arts. Society benefits. Even his apartment reflects his taste for the high life, where he never misses an opportunity to tell all his guests that his couch is an exact replica of the one Coco Chanel had in her Paris Hotelier.

My mom and I are Frasier-philes. Certifiable, even. We've wholeheartedly wrapped our arms around everything in the Frasier universe. We own two official Frasier books. I bought my mom a script on eBay, which came with a framed cast photo that hangs ceremoniously on her bedroom wall. We dream of venturing to Seattle to sip coffee at Café Nervosa, despite the fact the shop is a fictional place and the show was filmed on an L.A. sound stage. And we own nearly every season (season nine is on its way from Amazon as we speak). We don't just watch them once. We watch them over and over. And over. We've probably seen each season close to 10 times. But why have we gravitated so strongly toward this show? The answer is simple. Frasier is perhaps the only show that mirrors life to a "T." There's no sugar-coating like "The Brady Bunch." The Cranes present life as it is, not as it should be. They're fallible humans, and the refreshing lessons that can be learned from every 22-minute episode will make your life journey that much easier.

Lesson No. 1: Familial relationships take work.
Halfway through the second episode, Frasier declares to his father the living situation simply wasn't working. He was ready to give up. Martin, ever the voice of reason, replied: "Look, you want us to forge some great father-son relationship, to make some connection. Well, that kind of thing takes a couple of years, not a couple of days. It'll go by before you know it." There were a few bumps and hiccups along the way. Frasier and Martin begin their usual holiday squabbling in season one. A typical Frasier and Niles fight ends with Niles declaring, "We're an odd little family, aren't we?" That was the beauty of their family. They didn't run. They didn't hide. They may have been odd - even dysfunctional at times - but they always aired their grievances. They showed us that life can get messy and even the closest of families may be torn apart by conflict. But they always come back together. All it takes is work and an extra dose of love and care. Where do you want your family to be in 11 years?

Lesson No. 2: Always tell the truth. Lying will only get you into trouble - or worse, get your signals crossed.
Martin finds himself on a date with a man because Frasier doesn't want to ruin his chances with the man's daughter. Niles ends up in bed with a Frenchman because no one was honest about their true intentions during a winter retreat at a posh ski lodge. And the Cranes must pretend to be Jewish on Christmas Eve - complete with a surprise visit from a Jesus-clad Niles - to impress Frasier's latest lady love. Now, all these snafus could have been avoided with a little honesty. Life shouldn't be spent in the shadow of lies and deceit. Be honest with your loved ones. But most importantly, be honest with yourself. Lying will only get you sprawled out on the floor doped up on allergy medicine and trying to revive a little plastic diver. Just refer to season six for the full story.

Lesson No. 3: Be Bold. Above all, always be yourself, no matter what anybody thinks.
Daphne swears she's a bit psychic. Frasier and Niles aren't afraid to show their feminine side, whether it be with new, monogrammed towels or having their crepe pans re-seasoned. And when friends question the brothers' close relationship, saying "I think the whole arrangement is a little..." they shrug it off. So I urge you to take risks. Be bold. Be brazen, even if people raise an eyebrow or two. Take comfort in knowing that you're following your heart.
What do you think, friends? Do you watch Frasier? What life lessons would you add to the list? What shows can you watch over and over again and never get tired of? xoxo


  1. Love this post, I adore Frasier as well!

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

  2. love frasier. also, go to fantasy floorplans.com and look up frasier.

  3. Oh my goodness, this makes me so excited! No joke, just last week I discovered that Fraiser is on Netflix and I watch it before bed!

  4. Ugh. I can't stand Kelsey Grammer. It peppers the way I see the show, so I can't enjoy it that much.

  5. My favourite episode of all time is when Martin, Frasier + Niles watch the Antique Roadshow.

  6. I love Frasier, but Niles is my favorite. Soon after arriving in Settle I went to the Elliot By Cafe that is rumored where the idea for the show was born and giggled with excitement the whole time. Yes I'm a geek.

  7. oh, man, liz, that site looks awesome! Thanks for letting me know!

  8. Luna -- that is one of my favorite episodes too!!

    "And we have to take long trips in a Winnebago," HAAA!

  9. I didn't know that Samantha -- I'll have to tell my mom.

    p.s. Niles is my favorite too! I love the storyline between him and Daphne!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin