Monday, June 11, 2012

Behind The Blog: Stripes and Polka Dots

Friends, I haven't shared an interview with a blogger in awhile, so let's go Behind The Blog again today, shall we? Virginia native Kate's blog matches her personality perfectly: Friendly, colorful and happy. She married her high school sweetheart and loves chronicling her life and all the things that inspire her. I hope you enjoy reading her story. And as always, I'd love to feature you and your blog, so feel free to email me (mellow1422 [at] aol)...

Quick facts:
Birthday...October 4
Where are you from...Northern Virginia
3 words that describe you...creative, stubborn, loyal
Occupation...substitute teacher and blog designer
Blog: Stripes and Polka Dots
When did you start your blog...August 2009
What inspired you to start a blog?
I discovered the world of blogs when I started to plan my wedding. As I kept reading, I knew that I wanted to be a part of the fun! I started blogging as a way to document my wedding planning and college life.

What do you love the most about blogging? Does anything about it stress you out?
I love getting comments and connecting with other bloggers! I stress out about formatting each post and my blog overall. I check and double check my content, but sometimes mistakes still slip by me! Or after a post is published, I will remember something I had wanted to include or say in a better way -- that is the worst!

If you had to describe your blog in one sentence, what would you say
Stripes and Polka Dots is a glimpse into my life.

What has blogging taught you?
Blogging has taught me that you must always be your own biggest advocate. If you don't think you and your blog are awesome, no one else will either. For a long time, I was insecure in what I was writing about, and I think it shows when I look back at old posts.
What advice do you have for new bloggers?
Reach out! If you take the time to read someone's blog, leave a comment! It doesn't have to be life-changing, just something thoughtful -- a reaction, similar experience, ANYTHING related to the post or blog to let that blogger know that you were there! For a long time, I didn't leave comments because I didn't feel like I had anything important to contribute. Don't let your insecurities hold you back from making blog friends!

Where do you see yourself and your blog in 5 years?
Honestly, in 5 years, I would love to be working online full-time. I just started a blog design business and an art blog, so I would love to see those grow as well as Stripes and Polka Dots so that I could have a career that was creative and also supported my husband and me financially.

What has surprised you the most about blogging?
I am constantly surprised by how nice people are. Most people in the blog community are willing to help you in any way they can if you just ask!


  1. Thanks so much for introducing us to this lovely blogger (I'll be checking out her work now!) Great interview! xoxo

  2. thanks for featuring this blog! i love finding new blogs to read- this is a great feature melissa!

  3. I love Kate! So glad you featured such an amazing blogger for your series :)


  4. What a great interview. I agree with Kate sometimes I read the blog posts, but don't comment since I feel I don't have anything significant to say, but once you do comment and reach out to other bloggers you will see everyone is so friendly. It's a lovely community. :)

  5. I'm the same way, LeeLee...always worried i'll say the wrong thing. But i've found that bloggers love meeting other bloggers, so it's all good! xoxo

  6. SO glad you all loved the interview!! :)

  7. Cute! I was lucky enough to meet Kate in person last week :) Great interview! xoox, eliza

  8. i'm new(ish) to so about what i said... so, this was my first reading of behind the blog. i love it! i was so enamored that i went back thru every btb post! kudos for a great series, melissa:)

    Aja Lake
    the gold hat.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin