Thursday, June 07, 2012

Disabilities In The Media: Push Girls

Did you guys watch the premiere of the Sundance Channel's Push Girls? I was so excited to watch the reality show, which follow four women with disabilities (Angela, Auti, Mia and Tiphany) living and working in Los Angeles, and then I realized I don't get the Sundance Channel...eeek! The Atlantic calls it a refreshing antidote to Hollywood's fraught relationship with disabled actors:

"Most of the time, Hollywood seems confused about how to treat actors with disabilities. Movies and TV shows rely heavily on stories that focus on disabilities themselves rather than the people behind them. The cleavage, flirtations, judgements, and relationship problems help dispel misconceptions about what women who use wheelchairs can and can't do. In fact, one of the most enjoyable things about Push Girls is the show's comfort with its stars' bodies."
Luckily, I can watch the first episode online! Will you be watching? xoxo

[Thanks to reader Sofia for the tip]


  1. Glee did it firrsstt.
    Glee will always rock.

  2. I agree with the Atlantic's review. Such a portrayal of the disabled walks a very fine line. On the one hand, if you do not focus on the disability, you are accused of ignoring it. If you do focus on the disability, then you are accused of exploiting it. Media companies try to be as nonoffensive as possible. Viewer backlash and dissatisfied sponsors are our biggest fears. That's why the default choice has been not to show it at all. I was initially surprised that Kevin McHale's character on Glee had been well received. The show has been critized very little in the way Artie is portrayed. I haven't seen Push Girls but the publicity stills make it look interesting. Perhaps you could write an entry on your impressions of the show.

  3. I think I WILL be watching!! I like shows that show true stuff.


  4. This sounds great! I will definitely watch this if I get the chance. Thanks for the tip!

  5. Loved that review! I don't have Sundance Channel either, but I'll try to catch it online...xoxo

  6. That's so awesome! I love how they are tackling this head on. Thanks for sharing, Melissa!

  7. Good idea, Anon -- I definitely will! :)

  8. Same here, tiffany -- it doesn't seem like this will be the type of show where they sugar coat things, which is refreshing!

  9. Elsa, here's the link to watch the first episode:


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin