Monday, June 11, 2012

Love Lounge: What's your six-word memoir?

Have you guys read Not Quite What I Was Planning? The book, which has been on my must-read list for awhile now, features people’s life stories, tales from celebrities such as Stephen Colbert to tales from your Average Joes. It's an intimate look into their lives. In just six words.

Sounds like a challenge, doesn’t it? Of all the words in the English language (and if you think a simple dictionary houses all of them, I invite you to acquaint yourself with the massive Oxford English Dictionary; good luck carting that thing home on your bike), how can you restrict yourself to a mere six? Your life, your experiences, your passions, your loves, your hates, your gripes, your likes, your gripes, your ENTIRE life story reduced to six words.

My life is better than yours, perhaps?

Get me off this crazy ride, even?

If you’re still stumped, leave it to me to provide a more in-depth explanation because of course “I can show you all how.” See, I just did it right there. So what would my six-word memoir be? Well, let's see. I’m a forthright person (“I know what people should do”). I work hard (“She works hard for the money”).
Our lives are filled with so much – so many hopes, dreams, disappointments, triumphs, fourth-quarter victories. It can be head-swirling trying to capture all that. But I suppose it comes down to this: What does your life mean to YOU? Other people may have their opinions about you, but what matters most is how you choose to view your life, how you want to be remembered for the long haul.

Perhaps six words could also help you focus on what you want your life to be in the future. A way to focus and think long and hard about what you really want in life. It might not be a whole life plan, but at least it’s a good, solid start. And besides, who needs pages and pages of life plans anyway? That’s totally overrated. I’m a big fan of the “slow and steady wins the race” philosophy. At the very least, it’s a powerful exercise, that’s for sure. Especially for me, a woman who loves to have passionate love affairs with words.

Now if you’ll excuse me, “I must go save the world.” After all, “Someone has to do it all.” “It might as well be me.”

So, friends, let's chat: What is your six-word memoir? How did you come up with it? Do you think it will change as you change? Or, do you think it will stay the same? xoxo

[Bottom photo via Le Love]


  1. I love this idea! I saw it once in Oprah's magazine, and then forgot about it until now. But for my six word memoir, it would be "I dreamed, I did, I loved." About how I am very much a dreamer and a go-getter along with it. Through it all, whether it be a good experience or a bad experience, I always manage to get something out of it. Just as well, I believe that life is a lot fuller when we allow ourselves to love other people, regardless of what that kind of love may be.

    Many blessings,

  2. "Work in progress. Be patient, please." Well, that's what it is as I make some big life changes this summer. :)

  3. Alyx, that's a great approach to life!

  4. Mandy, sending you positive of luck to you! xoxo

  5. This is absolutely genius! I think mine would be "Fairies, dolls and children–high notes!"

  6. i would seriously not know where to begin with this, but it sounds like a fun challenge :)

  7. Why did you delete our comments? I'd just like to know if there's a specific reason that you're recycling posts. It's not a big deal that you are--I just wish you'd be upfront about it.

  8. I would definitely have to think on this, but what a neat idea for a book! I will definitely have to check this out!

  9. food for thought.. now it's all i think about... though I think Alyx and Mandy said it nicely.

  10. Let see... "never gave up. Loved. Conquered. Laughed!"

  11. Hey Anon -- I found this piece last week and didn't think i had posted it before.

  12. That's weird, because you say several identical things in both posts.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin