Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Question of the Week: Question #28

What do you love about yourself? Seems like a pretty simple and straight-forward question, doesn't it? But sometimes, it seems like best parts of ourselves are the only things we can't see. Have a question? I'd love to hear it, so feel free to email me (mellow1422 [at] aol) or ask me on Facebook or Twitter, friends! Today's question...

What are some Melissa-isms that boost your mood?

The greatest love affair you’ll ever have is with…yourself
I’ll be the first to admit that my physical disability has impacted my love life. At first, I kept wondering what was wrong with me: Do I scare guys away? Is there some inherent flaw within me? But then it dawned on me: I wasn’t comfortable with myself, in my own skin. The moment I stopped being so self-conscious of my body and started really loving myself for who I was, suddenly, I wasn’t so eager to find The One. And I also realized that any guy who can’t handle my disability isn’t even worth my time in the end.

Enjoy your favorite comfort foods – or sodas!
The power of comfort food is lost on some people, and, frankly, this is quite sad. Comfort food is by its very nature comforting. It’s soothing. It’s like when my mother says, “Ahh,” and I can tell she’s got that wonderful feeling in her throat because she’s just had that first sip of Diet Coke; this is usually before 11 a.m., mind you. There’s nothing like comfort food. I myself prefer the lovely taste of macaroni and cheese or a large donut with several gooey layers of frosting. Life can be so chaotic around you, but if you’re surrounded with your favorite foods, it just might help in making you feel like you can conquer the world.

Give – and receive – hugs
Neither my mother nor my sister are big huggers. I am. So, naturally, this can cause some tension sometimes and lots of uttering of the phrase, “Please respect my personal space.” But there’s power in hugs, in knowing that someone cares about you and wants you to feel safe. I’ve always thought that those who say they’re adverse to hugging are the ones who need it the most. So go and hug someone you love today. And maybe even bring them a donut too.

P.S. Missed a Question of the Week? Catch up on all the questions here. :)

[Photo via We Heart It]


  1. Along with that question (#28), I often feel I'm kinda cute...until I look in the mirror. It's interesting how much a mood can change at that point. So why have mirrors at all? What if we could only see ourselves in the eyes of others? Or is that just a R. Burns poem ;0)

  2. You might want to re-think "surrounding yourself" with doughnuts, cake, ice cream, cookies, Peppermint Patties and the like to make yourself more tolerable and to create happiness in your life. Sugar consumption leads to obesity, diabetes, susceptibility to infectious diseases, yeast infections and can increase your triglycerides, a component of cholesterol, which can put you at risk of heart attacks and stroke. You might want to "surround yourself" with fresh fruits, veggies, hummus, whole grain breads, beans and nuts. Even diet soda has shown to have harmful effects because it contains artificial sweetner which actually causes you to crave the real stuff even more. So put down your can of diet root beer and enjoy hydrating yourself with some good old H20. And if the sugary junk food is what you need to make your life more pleasant, then you have my sympathy!

  3. You're right, Anon, and obviously what I described here isn't all of what I eat. I've been loving fresh watermelon and strawberries this summer and have been enjoying my mom's summery pasta salad. :)

  4. Wow, what a downer Anonymous is being! Nothing wrong with splurging every now and then. Life is way more fun being able to eat the things you like with moderation than eating only healthy boring foods and staying skinny mini and in perfect health. I'd much rather enjoy the time we have on this earth with an average body size than to constantly worry about health and a slight figure. Don't you agree Melissa?! Hell, meal time is the most fun part of my day and it makes me very very happy. :)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin