Friday, August 24, 2012

Have a lazy late-summer weekend

Happy Friday, friends! What are you doing this weekend? I went out to lunch with one of my best friends from high school today (read: Anonymous...), and it was great to catch up! In blog-related news, next week is about all things back-to-school! I've got some fun posts planned, but I'd also love to feature your 100-word school stories (remember the fun Valentine's Day series?), so feel free to send me your best memories or most embarrassing moments at mellow1422 (at) aol (dot) com. I can't wait to read them and post them next week! In the meantime, have a great weekend, and here are my favorite finds from the wonderful Web...

What a cute Muppets-themed birthday party.

Pretty pastels.

It's a "Hey, Girl..." tea towel!

This place looks so peaceful.

What magazines do you miss most?

Hair envy.

How gorgeous is this floral umbrella?

9 controversial Barbie dolls.

Remember the VHS?

It's those little moments that are so important.

An ode to TV's best himbos.

How gorgeous is this old-fashioned wedding dress?

Oversize florals in the bathroom? Yes, please!

Check out these awesome murals! Which one is your favorite?

Sparkle love (thanks, Dani!).

I love the sweet story behind this doll collection.

When animals dress better than people.

Hilarious: This guy pretended to be famous in Times Square, and people fell for it! Would you?

Doesn't Rome look like the perfect vacation spot?

10 rose-scented beauty products.

First Lady Michelle Obama on sleep.

And as always, feel free to connect with me on Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook. See you there, friends! xoxo

[Photo via bippity boppity boo]


  1. All these are great but I especially loved the fake celebrity in Times Sq--people can be so silly! x

  2. i couldn't believe that one either, laura...though i fear i might have fallen for it too! :)

  3. Yay for you!!!! I'm excited for you that you went and had lunch with a dear friend! Since you are at home now for most of the time, it's vital for you to get out more often and be socially connected to people of your own age group and have some actual physical contact with friends other than sitting in front of the computer conversing with cyber "friends". I'll bet that felt really good! Now if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion....kick this social contact thing up a about a weekend trip with a girlfriend? You could go into Chicago...stay at a nice at fabulous restaurants...see a show or just explore the city. Or how about checking out's fun to browse the shops, maybe stay at a quaint bed and breakfast? If no one suggests that for you....why not make the move yourself and invite someone? It would be a great adventure and loads of fun! Or how about spending an afternoon at a spa? You girls could get massages, facials, etc. Have lunch and feel refreshed and fabulous! Or the next time you meet for lunch, why not venture into Geneva and treat yourself to lunch at one of the little outdoor cafes and sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather? So many possibilities! Get out of the house, tell Mom to have a great day and you'll see her later...and spread your wings a little bit! And keep us posted on your adventures!

  4. Thanks for your thoughts, Anon. Going out to eat with friends is nothing new for me, though. It's important to remember -- for anyone, I think -- is that some people are generally more social than others. What's right for you might not be right for someone else, and just because they don't do all the social things you do doesn't mean that their life is any less satisfying or they they're not content with their life. I've always been more of a quiet person and have been very content with that.

    And, I may be home more now, but I am working full-time. Look for a post about my new working routine soon! Trust me, I'm far from just sitting in front of a computer conversing with cyber friends all day! :)

    Thanks again for your comments! xoxo

  5. Melissa, it was exciting to see you post about getting together with a friend because you rarely post about that at all. For your sake, I hope you'll be doing more of that! And my comments were merely suggestions. I know that you might not be interested in doing any of those things. They were just some ideas about what young women your age might possibly enjoy. And even though now you "work" at home, it's more important than ever to keep up those social contacts. They're healthy and vital and keep you active and engaged. Don't let yourself get too comfortable with staying at home and watching tv. Make the effort to connect with friends and DO something fun! And I'm not speaking of hanging out with Mom so much....establishing your own social contacts and friendships will help you become more independant and transition to adulthood. I do understand that being disabled probably makes you very dependant on your mother and I'm not suggesting you don't love her, but at some point we all must cut the apron strings and venture out into the world and learn to care for ourselves. THAT should be your story, you navigate the world from a wheelchair, what you discover, who you meet, the challenges and the rewards, not just merely observing it from the safety of your mother's living room. No big deal...we could ALL do that if we didn't have the desire to move forward with our lives. Food for thought!

  6. Melissa,

    I just wanted to comment and say how much I enjoy reading your blog. You are an inspiration and a beautiful person inside and out. Your writing always cheers me up!

  7. Thanks, Anon -- that's so sweet! xoxo

  8. Thanks, Anon -- that's so sweet! xoxo

  9. i couldn't believe that one either, laura...though i fear i might have fallen for it too! :)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin