Thursday, August 02, 2012

MEMO TO MEN: For the love of the game

TO: Men all over the planet
FROM: Melissa
RE: Shake, shake, shake
DATE: August 2, 2012
I come from a long line of board-game lovers. But I'm sure you already know that, right, boys? Yet there's one game -- it's a man's man's game -- or, in my case, a woman's woman's game -- in which the stakes are high, but the payoffs are even higher. The more I furiously shake those Yahtzee dice, the more I'm realizing that there are some distinct love lessons hidden in each roll. Don't believe me? Well, in an effort to sway your hot little mind, I give you four ways the Game of Love resembles the game of Yahtzee.

Love, like Yahtzee, is all about taking chances.
If you've got three sixes on your first roll, by all means, go for that Yahtzee. Like I always say, if you want to see big returns, you have to take a risk. Yes, you may be scared (and you may ultimately be disappointed in the end...), but the point is you tried. And one day, all that trying will pay off. In fact, I once rolled three ones on my first turn. Now, I didn't need ones, but I took the risk anyway and ended up getting a Yahtzee (that's six ones, worth a whopping 50 points for all you novices out there). And the icing on the cake? I beat my mother!

Love, like Yahtzee, is riddled with possibilities.
There's nothing like a crisp, white scorecard at the start of a new game. It's all there for the taking. Fours. Threes of a kind. Full house. Large straight. The all-mighty Yahtzee. That small scorecard is love in all its infinite possibilities. I've found the trick is to keep shaking or rolling the dice when it comes to love until you find something you like, whether that be meeting someone new or

In love, like in Yahtzee, you win some and you lose some.
For example, I delightfully found myself on a Yahtzee winning streak once. To tell you the truth, I grew a bit tired of playing because, frankly, I felt under-challenged. As my winning tallies kept building, so did my self-confidence, and, according to my mother, I may have developed a bit of a swelled head. And then, just like that, the wins vanished and were replaced with an endless void of losses. And I'm talking big-time losses. The tide had shifted right into my mother's favor. Let's face it: No one's perfect; we all make mistakes and say things we wish we could take back. At the core, love is about being highly attuned to those peaks and valleys, knowing that each extreme won't last forever and learning to take those bad times in stride and be thankful for those smooth moments, no matter how brief or short-lived.

In love, like in Yahtzee, there's always room for improvement.
A few years ago, it must have been during one of my euphoric winning streaks, I bought my mother a Yahtzee strategy book. I thought she needed help in stepping up her game, and who better to give her that gift than me, the Master? She started flipping through the book, reading aloud passages on the statistical likelihood of getting a Yahtzee. She was so enthused. And the beautiful part? Her game improved. With a little hard work and some elbow grease, even if you think your game or love life is perfect, there's always room for improvement. You just have to know where to look.
Now, of course I haven't yet mastered each one of these, but who has? It's a work in progress. I'm a work in progress. I invite you along for the ride, boys. What do you think? xoxo

[Photos via Le Love]


  1. Oh my goodness! How did you know Yahtzee is my most favorite game ever?!!!! I love you and this post. Hugs to the moon, Melissa.

  2. This is the sweetest post–I'm grinning like I just won Yahtzee!

  3. I have never played Yahtzee but I just wanted to say you are so articulate! :)

  4. Melissa you are amazing! So true and I just happen to be a Yahtzee freak! :) xoxo

  5. love the comparison! i've never played Yahtzee!

  6. That's sweet! :-)

    I found an old Yahtzee set at my boyfriend's parents' house and asked him to teach me how to play. He was a good teacher because now I always win, haha :-)

    Sorry to be nerdy - but if you have an iPad or Apple device, there's an awesome game called "Yahtzee Adventures" put out by EA games. It is definitely challenging and has some interesting new variations.

  7. **APPLAUSE***

    I love this Melissa. LOVE it. Yahtzee themed wedding FTW.

  8. Terrific comparison, Melissa! Yahtzee is a favorite of me and the Husband. Now we can even play on the smart phones, too! Much quieter version for when the Kid is sleeping. :)

  9. Tiffany, i had no idea!!!!! Glad we have another thing in common! :)

  10. Thanks, Holly -- you should play yahtzee. it's so fun!

  11. Anon -- that's awesome about the ipad version. will have to keep that in mind if i ever get one!

  12. yes!! A yahtzee-themed wedding would be awesome! xoxo


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin