Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Question of the Week: Question #38

I've realized something: I haven't had surgery since 1996 -- a new record for me! Growing up, I usually had at least one major surgery each year, sometimes two. It sounds weird, but as I got older, these surgeries became routine. And during the months following the surgery? I'd almost look forward to recovering, thanks to some little "friends" of mine. Have a question? I'd love to hear it, so feel free to email me (mellow1422 [at] aol) or ask me on Facebook or Twitter, friends! Today's question is...

What helped you recover after all your surgeries?
I fell in love with this little yellow man when I was quite young. He zigzagged and chomped his way into my heart rather quickly, and though I didn't know it at the time, he was my gateway drug into a clandestine world of obsession and obscenely high blood pressure for a kid. And when he got a girlfriend with a little bow on her head, I won't pretend that I wasn't the slightest bit jealous.

I'm referring to the wonderful world of Pac-Man in case you haven't caught on to my subtle references by now. Without Pac-Man, I wouldn't have had the video game-centric childhood that I did.
I wouldn't have spent thousands of hours mesmerized and determined to fling a tiny little paper into a mailbox as I recovered from my latest surgery; you'd be surprised at how much more effective Paperboy is for pain as opposed to morphine.
I wouldn't have discovered the endearing quality of a speedy and loyal little hedgehog who could spin and twirl with the best of them. Actually, Sonic the Hedgehog could do all those things better than the best of them.
I wouldn't have battled evil turtles and won extra lives via mushrooms. I wouldn't have ever learned to save the Princess for that matter, either. And for the record, I can still save the Princess quite easily to this day. And I certainly wouldn't have had the Super Mario Brothers theme song popping into my head as I'm typing this.

I'd say that's reason enough to celebrate, wouldn't you? I'm proud to be a founding member of the Video Game Generation. After all, we did pave the way for future generations to enjoy monsters and villains and evil turtles. Oh, my.

Eventually, Pac-Man fell in love with Ms. Pac-Man. I was etched out of the picture, but that was OK. Maybe that's the way it should be. Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't have saved the Princess all those times so many years ago. If I hadn't, at least I'd have Mario as a back-up digital boyfriend. I wonder if the Paperboy is single. Or little Sonic.

1 comment:

  1. OK seriously, you're having me wanting to play all of these amazing games! I miss the days of Nintendo and Sega haha :)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin