Tuesday, October 30, 2012

An Open Letter To Ann Coulter

Dear Ann:
I suppose I should get a couple of things out of the way first. One, I've never agreed with your brand of politics -- in fact, I've always found it downright appalling. The kind of appalling that makes your skin crawl. And two, if you're wondering why I'm addressing you as "Ann" and not "Ms. Coulter," well, the answer is simple. Misses and Misters are people who command respect. Why? Because they've earned it. You, frankly, haven't. Let me explain.
It all started with a word. One word. Six letters. And for some reason, you felt the need to use it not one, not two, but three times.


I'll be honest: I could barely allow my fingers to merely type the word, let alone utter it out loud. I could feel myself cringe as I looked at the word after I typed it. I wanted to quickly erase it, the way a child turns beet red when they realize they've said something they shouldn't have. But you? You don't even seem to think you've done anything wrong. What's that? You don't believe you did anything so heinous? Allow me to illuminate just two of your tweets from the last month...
I'm not sure what's worse: The fact that you uttered such a vile word, or the fact that you refuse to apologize for your serious misstep in judgment, saying that you've done nothing wrong and that the word you chose (no, I will not repeat it...) has been used to mean "loser" for the last 30 years. Well, that excuse just don't cut it with me. And luckily, I'm not alone. John Franklin Stephens, a 30-year-old with Down syndrome and a Special Olympics pro, so eloquently and patiently got to the heart of the matter when he penned you an Open Letter...
After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the President by linking him to people like me. You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV.
I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash.

Well, Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor.

No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much.

Now, I don't care what your political ideology is or if you really, truly disagree with someone. That doesn't give you the right to use such a despicable, vulgar word. Thank you for confirming just how tacky and ignorant you are.

Words hurt. They sting. But this word? This word? It's just unacceptable, no matter how you slice it. You're a bully, plain and simple, which is sort of ironic considering you've said you're tired of people bullying you. Doesn't feel so great, does it? October is Bullying Prevention Month, so maybe this is the perfect time to stop putting other people down and hurling insults as weapons. It's really not an effective strategy.
Another wonderful resource is the R-word: Spread the Word to End the Word, a campaign aimed at raising awareness of the "dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the word." Might I encourage you to take the pledge to stomp out the use of this horrible word. As blogger Ellen Seidman told CNN: "It is a demeaning word even if it's meant as a joke, because it spreads the idea that people who are cognitively impaired are either stupid or losers."

Ann, I sincerely hope that you'll come to see the error of your ways and take steps to change in the future. Don't be part of the problem. Be a part of the solution. Be a part of the future.

[Top photo via We Heart It]


  1. http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/ Read and love it! p.s. Ann Coulter is terrible.

  2. For F*cks sake, I so hate that Woman!
    *burn that B#tch*

  3. Said eloquently, Melissa. Always remember - karma's a bitch. She'll get hers.

  4. I seriously hate her.

  5. So glad for the ocean that separates me from the person who wrote that. An ocean of ignorance, probably, but for which I'm grateful after reading your letter.
    Well said and felt. It's not funny to use words to diminish people. It's not non-important. It matters!

    So glad to know and read you and not her :feelinggrateful:.

    Take Care, Sweetie!

  6. Amazing letter, I hope to use it in my Friday roundups, I cannot stand her at all! She's is a pill!

  7. You mean beet red, not beat red.

  8. Great letter, Melissa!! Thanks!
    Not only the R word should not be used in this sense. Also words like "gay" and "fag" should be really not used in the sense that something is bad, and I always get angry when somebody uses it that way.

  9. Thanks for sharing this, Melissa. I even consider myself a conservative, and I think this lady is rude and mean. As I always say, the "R" word should mean Respect!

  10. Bravo. It doesn't surprise me that she wouldn't apologize. People like that need to feel that they are always in the right. Admitting they were wrong is too hard because it shows they aren't perfect.

  11. That would be awesome, Patricia. Spread the word!

  12. I totally agree, Viola -- it just makes my skin crawl every time I hear those words! xoxo

  13. Thank you so much for sharing this...I am SO proud of you! :) Amazing testimony! Much love and blessings! :) xoxo

  14. What a vile women. Well written.
    I hope she is embarrassed to her core for showing what an idiot she is.

  15. I loathe her. But with that said, why should she apologize for being stupid or for her opinion? It's her right to be wrong and to be stupid for that fact. Too many people these days apologize when made me. Everyone is always sorry for something but what happens is that a true apology is hard to come by because so many are forced. We are becoming a weak and pathetic, I am sorry I hurt your feelings or offended you society. Freedom of Speech right? Everyone else can use it to say whatever they want. Oh wait. Not really.

  16. well said miss blake!
    grrr, why are people still SO ignorant?

    xo the egg out west.

  17. [p]co . Have been collected before this wash brush, so MIA2 came out immediately [url=http://www.clarisonicssale4u.com] clarisonic brushes[/url] on entry, has been used for two weeks, said slowly it feels . With Clarisonic Mia 2, it's like having professional facial at the comfort [url=http://www.clarisonicssale4u.com] clarisonic brush[/url] of your home . Microdermabrasion is less invasive, with none of the risks, and skin recovers [url=http://www.clarisonicssale4u.com] clarisonic sale[/url] within 24 hours . A lot of people have got epidermis issues for instance whiteheads which can be very difficult to be able to get over . Clarisonic MIA is a popular product among women, especially those who are conscious [url=http://www.clarisonicssale4u.com]clarisonic[/url] about the beauty of their skin . It can also be quicker and is more effective [url=http://www.clarisonicssale4u.com] clarisonic mia[/url] than using a face washer or cotton pads to take away a cleansing lotion . The tone, texture, and glow of the skin are noticeably improved by the Clarisonic Mia.[/p]


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin