Thursday, October 18, 2012

Found: 6 awesome rock memoirs

Confession: I'm a pretty big stories girl. I love them. Telling them. Listening to them. Writing about them. And of course, I love music, so when you put the two together -- storytelling and some of my favorite musicians -- well, that's just pretty much perfection. As luck would have it, a New York Times article recently hailed the return of the rock memoir, and a slew of new ones from some of rock's greatest are hitting bookstores. Here are the six I'm especially looking forward to...

*Kicking & Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul and Rock & Roll tells the personal and professional story of sister singing duo Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart (remember how obsessed I am with their mega hit Alone?).
*Rod: The Autobiography chronicles the exciting life and personality of one of my favorite Brits. My sister and I went through a huge Rod Stewart phase when we were young. Fun fact: Early in his career, the wide-eyed singer threw down $10,000 for Lamborghini, which cost more than his new house! "I kept it covered in plastic and even went so far as to put little red cones around it," he says. "If it rained, the car wouldn't get taken out. It was far too expensive for that."
*Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir is the story of everyone's favorite '80s girl. She just wanted to have fun, and made us all dance with her catchy tunes. She supported herself as an IHOP waitress before getting her big break, when label execs wanted to mold her as the next Barbra Streisand. Her response: "I can't take enough medication to stand still that long, OK?"
*Who Am I: A Memoir is the story of The Who guitarist Pete Townshend, the genius behind such rebel-rousing hits as My Generation. Proof of the band's reckless, bad-boy antics: They were banned from all Holiday Inns for life after drummer Keith Moon drove a car into a pool.
*The John Lennon Letters is full of never-before-seen letters written by Lennon to his friends and family. A lot of the prose show a more vulnerable side of the former Beatle. It's not technically a memoir, but the intimate look at Lennon is intriguing.
*Bruce, although not a memoir, is the first biography in 25 years that's written with the cooperation of the iconic American musician himself.

What memoirs do you love? Any that you're reading now? What musicians do you wish would put their lives to pen and paper? Would you ever write a memoir? xoxo


  1. I would love to read those John Lennon memoirs. What a brilliant man.

  2. I love all kind of (auto)biographies... especially of historical figures and fashion people. Very tempted to read the Pete Townshend one.

  3. Ooooo that one about the wilson sisters must be a good read - Heart has always been a fav band of mine. I recently got a book on info behind all Radiohead's songs and its really cool to be able to chill out and learn more about the band. Love music biographies :)


  4. I haven't read any of these, I probably read Cyndi's though, she's amazing!

  5. quite fancy the Rod one but think I need a beach to read it on!!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin