Friday, December 14, 2012

Amelia Earhart on marriage

On February 7th, 1931, famed aviator Amelia Earhart married her publicist, George Putnam. Before the wedding, Earhart penned a letter to Putnam outlining her views on marriage and what she wanted -- and didn't want. Of their life together, she wrote...

"Please let us not interfere with the others’ work or play, nor let the world see our private joys or disagreements. In this connection I may have to keep some place where I can go to be myself, now and then, for I cannot guarantee to endure at all times the confinements of even an attractive cage. I must exact a cruel promise and that is you will let me go in a year if we find no happiness together."

That's actually some pretty genius advice, don't you think? I love Earhart's independent spunk! xoxo

[Via Brain Pickings, an amazing site I just discovered]

3 comments:

  1. I love this!
    She´s a Spunkyrella ;) just fearless! Thanks for posting this gem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the spunky gals who paved the way for a fiesty girl's pizazz! Ms. Amelia was ahead of her time :)

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin