Friday, December 14, 2012

Have a lovely weekend

Happy Friday, friends! Are you doing anything exciting this weekend? I had a huge proud big sister moment this week -- my sister passed her phlebotomy exam!! She's on her way to becoming a licensed phlebotomist; I couldn't be happier for her! This weekend, we've got a couple holiday get-togethers with family and friends. Speaking of the holidays, have you submitted your 100-word holiday story yet? I'd love to feature your story in the coming weeks! In the meantime, I hope you have a relaxing weekend, and here are my favorite finds from the wonderful Web...

How cool is this polka dot bike?

Congrats, Mr. Branflake!

Great 2012 beauty trends round-up.

Six traits to look for in a doctor.

How the age of parents may affect children.

One of the sweetest letters I've ever read.

My father would have loved this recipe.

The eyes have it.

Woohoo, Mad Men named Best Television Show of 2012. More Mad Men love here.

How popular is your cat's name?

Attention: Wedding in aisle five!

This graph made me smile.

The Itty Bitty Project lets kids customize their t-shirts. So cool!!

Yay or nay: Candy cane leggings.

Ha! What a clever idea for a tote bag.

10 fudge recipes and malted hot chocolate.

I love Chelsea's tips on surviving winter.

Dream Job: Elizabeth Street is hiring.

Would you love to hole up in this country cabin for the holidays?

Plus, five cool Pinterest finds...
*A garden sanctuary.
*Good advice.
*How awesome is this red ceiling?
*Oh, these marshmallow caramel bars look delicious.
*Pine place cards for the holidays.

My heart is heavy tonight in the wake of the devastating elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. My thoughts continue to be with the families and children affected by the tragedy. Give your loved ones a big hug tonight...

[Photo via bippity boppity boo]

7 comments:

Little Laura said...

That was an interesting article on parental age. I have often heard that U.S. birth rate is below replacement values.

I agree with the workplace needing to be more "baby friendly". Women here have a brief six week maternity leave. Six weeks of sleepless nights, a million diaper changes, establishing breastfeeding, etc, only to have to return to worm and be expected to pick up where they left off. Is the answer longer maternity leave? Maybe, some countries have a year leave. I don't know how the logistics of that would work out.

Maybe women would feel more able to have children sooner if they felt like they wouldn't be penalized career wise.

I don't know, I'm a 25 year old mother of one...and I stay at home. :) I have been reminded of how I am "delaying my career."

Michelle Katherine Wiwchar said...

I found your blog through xoJane... this single post is going to keep me occupied all afternoon. You now have a rabid new fan! (And I am going to paint my nails while the laundry dries.)

Eleanor at Mirror Of My World said...

great post melissa xx

Eleanor at Mirror Of My World said...

ps i love the polka dot bike and no to candy cane leggings xx

Melissa Blake said...

Hi Michelle -- thank you so much for your kind words!! I'm so glad you're here!

Melissa Blake said...

HA, Eleanor -- i felt the same way about those leggings! Though they did make me crave a candy cane...

Rebekah said...

Thanks for the link! You're so kind!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin