Thursday, January 10, 2013

Disabilities In The Media: Child with disability covers Parents magazine

Meet Emily Keicher from Buffalo, New York. At 3 years old, she's the latest cutie to cover Parents magazine. She's all smiles in her pink tutu -- all ready to conquer the world. But the best, most exciting part? She doesn't even seem to notice that little walker. Emily was born with spina bifida, a condition that occurs when the spinal column and surrounding tissue and skin fail to close in utero, and she's the latest in a group of trailblazing kids who are making a difference just by being themselves.

"I hope some people will see that she’s just another kid," said Emily's mom, Liz, in an interview with Parents' blogger Ellen Seidman."I hope it starts a discourse for people, and makes them open to seeing images of kids from all walks of life. And I hope that in the future, when I go to the magazine section, I’ll see three or four more magazines featuring kids from all walks of life!"
I couldn't agree more, Liz! Kids like Emily give me so much hope for the next generation, where a cover like this isn't out of the ordinary. What do you think, friends?

P.S. Remember this child model and restaurant owner?

[Second photo by Liz Keicher, via Holdin' Out for a Hero]


  1. How cute she is! Good for her and good for her Mom. She is a kid and should be counted just like all the other kids! This lil cutie being on the cover is a statement that needs to be made and I hope she does more!

    Ergo - Blog

  2. This is incredible!!! So happy it's becoming more mainstream- and what spirit she has.

  3. Thanks for sharing this! It brought a tear to my eyes!

  4. That is great.. because in the end she is just a little girl, happy and full of life.. with unlimited potential


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin