Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Disabilities In The Media: Waiter refuses service to ignorant patron

If I ever visit Laurenzo's Prime Rib restaurant in Houston, I'll be sure to leave waiter Michael Garcia an extra big tip. Garcia took a stand against discrimination last week after regular customer Kim Castillo and her family were the victims of another patron's ignorant words. Kim, her husband and their 5-year-old son Milo, who has Down syndrome, were in the midst of enjoying their meal when several waiters stopped by to chat about Milo's recent birthday. After a few derogatory words from a nearby table, Garcia knew he had to step in.
"My personal feelings took over, and I told him, 'I'm not going to be able to serve you, Sir,' " Garcia told an NBC affiliate. "[I said], 'How could you say that? How could you say that about a beautiful 5-year-old angel?' "

Added Kim Castillo: "I was really impressed that Michael would stand up for Milo. He really doesn't know us … he stood up for Milo just because it was the right thing to do."
It warms my heart to know that there are such good people like Garcia leaving positive footprints on the world every day. One of my best friends has Down syndrome, and it sickens me to think that someone could say such cruel things to someone and not even think twice about it. You can watch the video here and a blog post by Kim Castillo here. Bravo, Michael! xoxo

[Photos by Kim Castillo]

4 comments:

  1. this makes me want to cry. How could someone say that. But at the same time it also warms my heart so much to hear someone stick up for that little boy. Imagine if no one had said anything to that man and let him continue being ignorant. hopefully it will make him think twice before saying something so hurtful again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this!

    Michael is an everyday hero... The world needs more people like him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that someone has to be ignorant for making fun of anyone with a disability, but to talk about a 5-year-old that is low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish more people stood up like this. I was in a room of white folks (I'm white too) and someone made derogatory statements about black folks, I called it out as something "wrong" and not one other person backed me, I gathered my things and walked out.. Would have been much different if a "minority" were present. Moral of my story is, stand up against discrimination even when those being discriminated against aren't there to witness.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin