Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fun game: Spoons!

Have you guys ever played a game called Spoons? My mom grew up playing the fast-paced game on family vacations deep in the woods in her aunt and uncle's cabin. She used to regale me with stories of how her whole family -- sometimes 20 at one time -- would gather around a huge table with a deck of cards and a number of spoons totaling one less than the number of players (i.e., 4 spoons if 5 people are playing...). The object of the game? Be the first player to have four of a kind and grab one of the spoons, which have been placed in the center. This is the signal for everyone else to grab a spoon; the player who ends up empty-handed is the loser.
 
Well, I played the game for the first time at a family party recently, and it was hilariously fun. It's one of those raucous games that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Have you played it before, friends? What's your favorite family game? xoxo

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Never played it but now I want too! I like poker (penny poker). :)

Samantha Kimble said...

I've heard of the game, but never knew how it was played. Kind of like musical chairs without the knocking each other over to get to the chair.

Erika said...

This is actually the first time that I have ever heard of this game - but it sounds too fun!

I think my favorite family game is Monopoly. :P

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I LOVE Spoons.

My friends and I once went a step further and created Ultimate Spoons. Instead of the spoons being in the middle you throw them over your shoulder.

Obviously this game can get a little rowdy ;-)

Casual Jenny said...

I love spoons! I too have played the kind where you grab one and throw the rest...kinda mean, but extra fun! I also have played "snow spoons" where you play inside, but put the spoons outside in the snow so it's a mad dash to get one!

Melissa Blake said...

Erika -- Monopoly is one of my favorites too! Could play it for hours!

Melissa Blake said...

Jenny, that sounds so fun!! xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin