Wednesday, January 09, 2013

In The Pursuit of Happiness: On slowing down and creativity

In thinking about the year ahead -- and rolling out the new blog design -- I'm quickly realizing that I need to remember to slow down. I can't just slow down when I feel like it. I need to make a conscious effort every day -- a sort of preemptive, preventative measure. And then, like fate, I recently came across this quote from author Natalie Goldberg...

“If you’re having difficulty coming up with new ideas, then slow down. For me, slowing down has been a tremendous source of creativity. It has allowed me to open up — to know that there’s life under the earth and that I have to let it come through me in a new way. Creativity exists in the present moment. You can’t find it anywhere else.”
How inspiring is that? We should all try to slow down this year, don't you think, friends? Just imagine the bursts of creativity that would come our way!! xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It; thanks for the quote, Erin]

5 comments:

Blue Eyed Night Owl said...

Very inspiring indeed:) Though I kinda hope to speed some things up this year too!

Good luck with your new design!

blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

lauren jean allece said...

YES! It's so weird to live in a culture where pushing yourself to the absolute limit is a mark of pride - and we don't worry enough about how that will impact our actual LIVES! I actually heard an ad for Chevy or some other truck on the radio around Christmas and they were priding themselves on working through the holidays "when the other guys are taking time off for the holidays". It made me so sad! What about the families of the people working? We need to put more emphasis on slowing down and nurturing ourselves and the people around us!

Dancing Branflake said...

creativity exists in the present moment


I love that.

Lauren Ashley said...

Wise words and a great reminder. xo!

Melissa Blake said...

Lauren jean, that is so sad!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin