Tuesday, January 08, 2013

NYC Diaries: Why Every New Yorker (and Everyone Else in the World) Needs a Dog

Hi, everyone, and happy New Year! I hope your holiday season was as amazing as mine. I spent Christmas with my family, turned 21 and adopted an adorable dog. And if there’s one thing I’ve learned over these past two weeks, it’s that getting a pet changes everything for the better.

I adopted Augustus, my 1.5-year-old Yorkie (Editor's note: How cute is he? And this coming from a cat person...), from a local breeder who said he wasn’t selling because of his limp. As soon as I saw his picture, I knew I was in love and that Augie (as I like to call him) was The One for me. He’s a tiny ball of energy, and being a dog owner has made me realize how essential it is for people to have pets.

I’m not saying that it’s all sunshine and roses. A dog requires a lot of work and time and money. But it’s sooooo worth it, and you get paid back in loads of love. That being said, here are my top 5 reasons why every girl needs a dog...

They make you happy
This one’s a no-brainer. There’s nothing like coming home after a long, dreary day and being greeted by a hyper pup with a wagging tail. Regardless of mood or level of stress, Augie always puts a smile on my face.

They love you unconditionally
Whether I’m fighting with a friend or arguing with my boyfriend, I know that Augie will be waiting for me at home with his puppy kisses. I saw a quote online once that read, “Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day." And that’s absolutely true!

They find all your lost socks and shoes
Most dogs seem to have a foot fetish and an obsession with footwear of any kind. When I get home after work, I always see about five pairs of socks and some mismatched flip-flops by his bed. Adorable? Yes. Yes, it is.

They’re cuddly
I call Augie my little nap buddy because he’s softer and warmer than the cutest teddy bear. I can deal with his snoring and drooling because, like I said, that’s love.

They make you feel like a million dollars
On my worst days when I get down on myself for not looking like a movie star or having a few extra pounds on me, Augie reminds me that I’m still awesome in his eyes. After all, you don’t need to impress a dog like you would a potential suitor. A pet will accept you for who you are (especially if you have food on you).
So, do you have any pets, friends? How have they made your life better? What do you love about them? Let's celebrate all things pets! xoxo

--By Caitlin from Stream of Caitlinness


  1. So cute! Your dog looks exactly like mine, except better groomed. Our dog always looks scruffy. :)
    We adopted him almost a year ago. He's perfect for our family.
    Here's to many years of dog love!

  2. He is adorable! I have an adorable poodle who gives me many kisses! Thanks to you and Melissa, I am learning to view my disability in a new light. Thanks! If you'd like come visit me at www.rsrue.blogspot.com

  3. i have 3 birds, 2 dogs, a squirrel, and now 2 cats - so i think i like *love* animals - next up is a mini pig - but i gotta wait a little longer - i think i have a little mini zoo going on as it is :o)

  4. i'm always amazed at all of the dogs in my neighborhood (jersey city)... how do people who work 9-5 jobs take care of them!? besides those fortunate enough to be able to afford a dog-walker or doggie carycare, when/where do the big dogs do their business during the day?? (little ones can use a pee-pad).

    i love the companionship of dogs, but i just feel that i'm not in a position to take care of a dog in the way it should be taken care of... so, i'm working on my other half to let me get a cat instead ;)


  5. Thanks for all the comments!


    I work a full-time job and leave Augie home for a few hours with the doors shut and a small fence I set up so he has his space to run around in. My sister and mother get home earlier than I do, so they take care of him until I get home.

    Also, how are you liking Jersey City? I went to high school there. :)

  6. Awww he is positively adorable!!!! I love yorkies...they are such loving creatures! I don't have any pets but when my boyfriend moves in I think I'm getting his cat...it's going to be an adjustment...that's for sure! =)

    Ergo - Blog

  7. LOVING jersey city! my neighborhood is very homey-feeling...i know my neighbors, i love the large artist community, the diversity (um, hello to both hispanic and vietnamese grocery stores just blocks from home)

    you should move back ;)

  8. We have a cairn terrior ... always greets us at the end of the day with endless love ! CONGRATS on Augie oxox PS - our furry baby is 13 now and has always been a love

  9. I grew up with dogs and one of my favorite parts about going home to visit is cuddling with my babies.

    I have two kittens now, whom I love to death, but it is my mission to one day get a dog of my own.

  10. Awww! I love hearing all these stories about everyone's pets -- they're wonderful little creatures, aren't they? :)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin