Thursday, February 14, 2013

In The Pursuit of Happiness: 3 reasons it's great to be single on Valentine's Day!

I've talked before about my love-hate relationship with Valentine's Day -- how my inner romantic bleeds (not literally, of course...) for the day of love and sweeping declarations of said love, but my inner cynic comes stomping along and wants nothing more than to pop in some classic Alanis Morissette in an attempt to drown out all the sappy lovebirds.
But, really, this is no way to live. I hate it, actually. I hate feeling so torn and being pulled in what feels like a million different directions, even if it's actually just two directions. It's exhausting. And frankly, it's completely unnecessary; I mean, it is 2013 and all.
So I've vowed to at least try to find a comfortable middle ground this year. With that in mind, friends, and as a tribute to all us lovely people flying solo on Valentine's Day, I offer you my top 3 reasons being a singleton on love's biggest day of the year is a good thing...

You can do whatever you want
Think about this one for a minute. There's no pressure to ask the other person what they want
to do and then have to feign interest in something you hate or just find incredibly boring. Instead, you can plan a special day just for you. Maybe you want to spend it exploring a museum. Maybe you want to take a leisurely bike ride around the city. Or maybe you just want to watch your favorite romantic comedy and rewind all your favorite parts. After all, the entire day is yours. Enjoy it.

You can use the day to learn more about yourself
One of the great things about being single is having plenty of opportunities to get to know yourself. I know I've said this before, but I firmly believe that you can't love someone until you get to know yourself and fully love yourself. That may take time. But, it's something that most definitely can't be rushed. Make a promise with yourself to stay single until you know who you are -- I guarantee the ride will be pretty exciting.

You can live it up with your friends
Just yesterday, for example, my friend Claire and I spent the afternoon together...just hanging out. We didn't have anything grand planned, but it was great to just kick back, relax and catch up with each other. Everyone should have more days like this in their life.
So, friends, what's your relationship status on this Valentine's Day? Single? Married? If you're single, what do you think is the greatest thing about being unattached? And, what are your plans for Valentine's Day? xoxo

[Photos via Le Love]


  1. I must say for a good portion of time I was not so big on Valentine's Day. Then I received flowers anonymously on Valentine's Day 19 yrs ago. I had no clue whom they were from. They were tulips not roses. I didn't know who knew that tulips are my favorite. I was just told that they were someone who worked at the company I worked. It is still a large company but I do not work there anymore. I finally got a hint and asked someone a few weeks later if he had sent me the flowers and he did. Four years later to the day, the same guy asked me to marry him. Then nine months later to the day (no I was not pregnant) we got married. This past November we celebrated 14 yrs.
    He gave me tulips for Valentine's Day. We just enjoy spending time together and not really go in for gifts.
    I made a point of spending time with my others today as well. Both my parents have had health issues in the past year which have been very serious. I want to see them happy. It was cute my mother gave my father a card and my father said that his personal shopper (me) had gone out to get something and it was a little heart necklace for my mother.
    My mother turned 80 last month and in the last year she had had two 14 hour open heart surgeries and then also a pacemaker put in and a bleeding issue. My father will be 85 in April and he has had a stroke in the last year and a half and about 8 melanoma surgeries. They have spend 51 1/2 yrs married and they still can get on each others nerves yet they will be the biggest backer of the other.
    I hope that everyone's day is a good one.

  2. I'm married but still I love your list. Happy Valentine's day!

  3. I 'm torn too about this day and I love your list! I am single and I find the freedom the best thing about it...! :)

  4. Singleton here. I love your post, and am happy being single on Valentine's Day. It's a day of love, and should be celebrated, who said you can't love yourself that day?

    I had a fabulous evening, got myself a takeaway, watched some telly and chatted to my best friend on the phone. It was a blessed Valentine's Day all around.

    Hope you had a good one**

  5. I love your list, I think it is awesome to be strong with where you stand but still looking forward to where you are going! I am married but I wasn't always and can totally relate! Hope it was a great day none the less! xo


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin