Monday, February 04, 2013

Love Like That

I've been thinking about my grandparents a lot lately, especially with my grandfather's declining health. They met -- and got married -- just before he left for WWII. It was quite a surprise to everyone, I'm sure, but they enjoyed almost 60 years of wedded bliss together. Growing up, I never got tired of listening to my grandmother tell their love story, and I'd always think, "I want a love like that." Who wouldn't? Do your grandparents have similar stories, friends? xoxo
Everyone said they were crazy
Two kids that had no idea what they were doing
Falling in love like it was forever
And thinking with their hearts wide open

She knew he'd be leaving soon
And life doesn't always give you enough time
So when they stood there waiting on that morning train
She'd be damned if she was going to say goodbye

'Cause when you find a love like that, you give it all you got
It's full-speed ahead and you never stop
It flows through you like the wind
You'd better grab it 'cause it won't come around again
'Cause don't you know you can't ever look back
That's the kind of love I'm waiting for
A love like that

She found herself nervous the day that train rolled back in town
Wondering if they were still the same people they were back then
Life has a way of leaving its mark on you
Could their two hearts find their way back again?

'Cause when you find a love like that, you give it all you got
It's full-speed ahead and you never stop
It flows through you like the wind
You'd better grab it 'cause it won't come around again
'Cause don't you know you can't ever look back
That's the kind of love I'm waiting for
A love like that

Well, I saw her looking at those old pictures today
After the war, raising all those kinds, almost 60 years together
And I smiled when I heard her say
"Honey, hold out for a love like that..."

'Cause when you find a love like that, you give it all you got
It's full-speed ahead and you never stop
It flows through you like the wind
You'd better grab it 'cause it won't come around again
'Cause don't you know you can't ever look back
That's the kind of love I'm waiting for
A love like that

'Cause when you find a love like that, you give it all you got
It's full-speed ahead and you never stop
It flows through you like the wind
You'd better grab it 'cause it won't come around again
'Cause don't you know you can't ever look back
That's the kind of love I'm waiting for
A love like that

And I smiled when I heard her say
"Honey, hold out for a love like that..."

3 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet story. Your grandmother is right - a powerful love, even a brief one, is one worth holding onto and one worth the wait!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, was just thinking about my grandparents' love the other day. They've been together since my grandma was 15 and grandpa 20. Now, at 84 and 89, they are still in love, and call each other darling all the time. I pray my fiance and I will be able to have something like that in our marriage too. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin