Monday, March 25, 2013

An Open Letter To My Laptop

Dear Black Velvet:
Well, here we are. It looks like it's the end of the road for us. I know, it's a rather tough pill to swallow. I mean, it's not like we had planned for this. It's not like we woke up one morning and said, "OK, this is the end. We're OK with this." Because we're most definitely not OK with this. With any of this. Or, at least I'm not OK with this; I suppose I can't speak for you. I'm not really sure how you feel, but seeing as how we've grown pretty close -- dare I say inseparable? -- over the last two and a half years, I'm pretty sure you feel the same way I do. Our hearts are a little heavier today. We're a little more wistful for the past today.

After all, you were my trusty laptop (side note: do all people name their laptops, or is it just me?), and quite honestly, I don't know what I would have done without you for the last few years. You supported me in all the ways a good laptop should. You were there for me during my depression, being patient even when writing a simple blog post felt like trying to scale Mount Everest. You were the window into my favorite things, namely my daily dose of celebrity gossip. And of course, you indulged me in my not-so-secret online shopping addiction. We did make quite the team, didn't we?
There's no denying that we've been through some pretty awesome times, Black Velvet. Maybe that's why it's hard so hard to say goodbye to you. You never want to say goodbye to someone -- or in my case, something -- that once meant so much to you. Because as trivial as said thing may be, it's become a part of you, and when you think about it, the idea of losing a part of yourself is the scariest thing in the world. You know you'll never get it back, and that thought leaves you feeling very unsettled and vulnerable.

But, we must not think of such things, Black Velvet. We must put on our tough faces and be the brave people we know we can be. We must realize that some things in life are beyond our control, and we must learn to roll with the punches, however hard they may be. It's just a fact of life. So, yes, I will be getting a new laptop, but it won't be you. Nothing could ever take your place in my heart or in my writing life. You were my first (laptop, that is...) and always will be. Thank you for everything, and I hope you know that, no matter where this crazy life takes me, I'll never, ever forget you. xoxo

[Photos via We Heart It

5 comments:

  1. Gah... Nooo! That's the worst.

    Don't take this the wrong way, but yes - you may be the only person that names their laptop. :)

    Here's to hoping you get a new one asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I feel like my laptop and I will have to part ways soon. I never thought of naming mine...but you know we DO spend a lot of time together. Course then maybe I'd be too attached to say goodbye? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh nooo, what new one will you get? don't worry the new one will be there through a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry–my first Mac and I parted ways last year and it was so tough to say goodbye.

    I have another friend who names their laptops (although it's always "Lappy") and it's my favorite thing about her.

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin