Monday, March 18, 2013

Family Photos: The BEST Gramps in the world


I was eating a bowl of Cheerios last night when it hit me: My Gramps (or Pops, as I've taken to calling him in the last few years...) won't be waiting for us to come visit him in the summer or during the holidays. I won't get to spend long, leisurely days with him while my mom and sister go dip their feet in the bay -- Pops watching Matlock with the volume at full blast while I surf the Web.

I won't get to listen to those stories from a generation completely foreign to me -- stories that opened a window into Pops' life. He grew up on the streets of Chicago with three brothers, and from what I can tell, he was a bit rebellious at times. He met my grandmother, fell in love and left for World War II in the span of just a few months.

But what I'll miss the most? That's easy. His love. How can you sum up someone who lived such an extraordinary life? I'm not exactly sure, but all I know is that the world is a better place because Pops was in it. He made a difference. He touched lives. He loved his family. But most importantly, he was loved by all who knew him. I love you, Pops, and will miss you every single day. Thank you for everything you've given me and for shaping the person I've become. I'll miss our days spent together... xoxo

13 comments:

  1. aw, this was sad. i miss my great grandpa every single day

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet pictures of your grandpa! xo style, she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to you dear. My grandpa was also a easy, cool guy that loved easily. Always remember your grandpa's love!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can say for sure that he had one of the sweetest faces that I've ever seen. He looked like he would have been a kind hearted soul. I lost my Grandfather almost ten years ago and not a day goes by that I don't think about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing pics!
    Sorry for your loss.

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually crying right now. I lost my grandma in November and I miss her A LOT.

    I used to call her every Friday and last week when I was leaving work I actually thought, "Oh it's Friday, gotta call Grandma." It actually took me a second to remember I can't. And then I got in my car and cried.

    It's so sad to miss someone that much. And I am so, so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry, Melissa. What an incredible man and you did his memory justice with this tribute. All my love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hoping to find a post by you, M. So happy to find these photos here along with your memories. Thank you! J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Sorry, didn't realize how comments were identified. Urban words is your cousin J.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandpa died when my younger uncle was only four.So I could not see my grandpa.I am so sorry hearing your news.

    fashion iPhone apps

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin