Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Love Lounge: Did I ever let my disability define me?

That's the burning question my friend Audrey asked me recently. She was doing a Q&A with me for a magazine writing class she was taking, and it was really fun -- and a bit strange! -- to be on the other side of the interview table for once. I started thinking back over the last 31 years...

Growing up, especially in high school, I was more self-conscious about my disability. I think just growing up and realizing that we all have our own issues and things that we're self-conscious about helped me to shed a lot of those disability insecurities. But it's a constant learning process, one that I'm not sure you're ever finished with.

I'd love to know, friends: How would you answer this question? Have there been times in your life where you've more self-conscious? How did you get through those times? Do you think those struggles ultimately made you a stronger person? xoxo


  1. I have DVT and must wear a compression stocking on my leg so that I will have blood flow that is not compromised. When I was first diagnosed I was out walking around with long pants and it was hot. I decided that I would put on a pair of shorts and be more comfortable. I get stares every now and again but I am comfortable and that is what works for me.

  2. Well you are very humble Melissa, I've always been horribly self conscious, just because of I don't know, some sort of emotional oversensitivity, it's taken a lot for me to out myself into the world, which I know sounds utterly pathetic.

  3. Love this question! I wouldn't say that my disability defines me, but it certainly has determined my my view of myself. I'll admit to having been extremely self-conscious in the past, going so far as to hide my disability as much as I could.

    I'm way more confident now and see my disability as an asset and as a symbol of my strength.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin