Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Love Lounge: What do you want in a partner?

We've talked about what we went in a relationship and what we'd include in a relationship contract, but this afternoon, let's talk about those specific qualities we look for in a potential partner. I confess that I once made a 12-point checklist when I was a young lass of just 17. At the time, I thought the list was a bit, well, long and a bit too specific, but as it turns out, I've got nothing on one woman, whose 31-point list has been making the Internet rounds. Her dream man? He must possess these qualities...

What do you think, friends? Is she being too demanding or just right? Do you think people would respond differently if this list had come from a man? Why or why not? What are the top qualities you look for in a partner? Are they the same qualities you bring to the relationship? I'd love to know! xoxo

[Top photo via Le Love]


  1. I don't think the list is too demanding. Most of the personality qualities listed are things most good people are--humble, considerate, kind, faithful, etc. All people would list most of those! Then, she has her specifics, like we all do.

    Flounces & Hubbub

  2. I have a male friend who has a specific, demanding list like this. He wonders why he's single. He's not giving girls a chance. There could be a very nice girl, but if she doesn't meet one of his "requirements", she's gone. While I do think people should show some discernment when searching for a mate, there is no need to write people off if he/she doesn't possess all of the qualities we are lookkng for. Who knows, you may find that there is a quality about the person that you love that you otherwise wouldn't have known. We all have our turn offs and turn ons, but remember, nobody's perfect. :)

  3. If I ever have a list, it would be a list of things in relation to me and my reaction to him. I must love him unconditionally. I must be able to laugh at his jokes. If he messes up, I must be able to communicate my feelings to him.

    So instead of shaping an unknown man, I would be shaping my own character- something I actually have control over.

  4. We should never be too demanding in choosing a life partner! After all, wouldn't they expect the same from us?
    I'm happy to say my husband checks all of these boxes and I attempt to do the same for him!

    Chic 'n Cheap Living

  5. I don't think the list is too demanding, as long as she can offer many of those great qualities in return. The thing is that many people spend a lot of time thinking about and making lists of what they want from other people instead of focusing on and developing all the positive things that they have to offer someone else. I think knowing who you are and all the wonderful things you have to give to another person in a loving relationship is just as important and drafting a list of must-haves in a partner.

  6. I agree with other commenters. THe list isn't too demanding because it's so general. Couldn't we all say that we're intelligent and caring about ourselves? I think lots of men meet those requirements. If her list started to get more specific, like, as in, "Eats edamame on Tuesday nights" or something, then it would be a problem! haha.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin