Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Do you keep a journal?

In recent years, people have shifted from pen-and-paper to mouse-and-keyboard to record their lives. I used to be an avid journal-keeper (as evidenced by all these entries...), but I've noticed that I've abandoned my journals since I started blogging. Honestly, I sort of miss it -- the feel of the smooth, crisp pages, the way the pen felt in your hand, the fun of choosing exactly the right color pen to use (because it was a very important decision, you know...). I found a stack of my old journal while I was cleaning my room awhile ago, and I got a kick out of reading through some of the entries. Oh, the thrill and excitement of being a kid! Oh, the awkwardness of being a teenager! Oh, the stress of that quarter-life crisis.
I once interview life coach Kate Larsen on the power of putting pen to paper, and I love her takeaway: “Journaling is a powerful gift you give yourself. It captures your thinking, helps process life and perceptions and can be used to capture the evolution of YOU.”
I never thought about journaling being a gift to yourself, but Larsen is so right, don't you think, friends? Do you keep a journal? Why or why not? Has what you write about changed over the years? What's important to you when journaling?
P.S. A Peek Inside is coming your way soon! :)
P.P.S. Looking for something to write about? Journal Sparks has some awesome writing prompts.
[Top photo of my journals, bottom photo via We Heart It


  1. yes and no - i have 2 journals - and then i have my computer journal - i sometimes write in a 'book' - sometimes just type a way -

  2. Thanks for giving me something to think about! I've found the same - since I've been blogging I don't journal as much. I have found though that there is something about pen and paper that is really important, and when I am working through how I feel about certain things (especially big decisions) I tend to write a lot down in order to process what's going on. Forming the letters on a page feels different from typing somehow.

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. It's funny, I journal when I'm in a crisis but never when I'm happy–I wonder if writing all the time wouldn't help!

  5. I've kept something, either a diary, a journal, a livejournal, or a blog for what seems like forever! It's my favorite pastime!

    Ergo - Blog

  6. Journaling is so good but I like typing it better because I can get my thoughts out quicker. I do love the prettiness of journals, thuogh. :-)

  7. I've journaled since I was 11 and I love that writing in a paper journal slows my thoughts down and makes them more organized and clear. There's a lot to be said for journaling as therapy, I think. If people don't express themselves regularly when they don't need to, I think they might lose the knack to do so when they really need it! Like Melissa, it helps me with self-reflection, problem-solving, and deep inner evaluation, aside from being a historical record of my life. :)

  8. I just started journaling again and I forgot how much I adore it.

  9. Oh, I love what Larsen said. I too have kept a handwritten and illustrated journal since I was a kid. It's fun to read it and it definitely has helped me figure out things. Writing does that. It's wonderful!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin