Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Love Lounge: You can't be in love until...

Last week, we talked about being in love vs. loving someone. Well, how would you finish the following sentence, friends?

You can't be in love until...

I came across this interesting quote recently, and it (naturally...) got me thinking.

You can't really be in love until you can imagine yourself in love.

That's sort of a mind-blowing dichotomy, isn't it? I suppose it's sort of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Or the mentality of "if you believe it, you can achieve it" (cue cheesy '80s after-school special...). By that logic, then, we are the ones standing in our own way. We are the ones putting up those roadblocks in our minds, convincing ourselves that love is doomed or that it could never, ever work out in the end. We're our own worst enemy when it comes to love. No one else is putting those roadblocks for us. Because, really, whether we want to believe it or not, believing is half the obstacle. If we can just get over that hurdle, then nothing really seems impossible. It's a rather freeing notion, don't you think?
Do you think there is there any truth to this? Can you only be in love after you imagine yourself in love? Or would you choose another way to finish that sentence? What's the first thing that comes to your mind? xoxo

[Photos via Le Love]


  1. I believe that's super true. I believe anything in life we feel happens by "happenstance" really didn't- we, in some way or shape, imagined it into being. Cheesy? Prolly. But it has worked out in my life. When I was really ready and imagining loving someone else (rather than being loved by someone else), I found exactly who I was made for and who was made for me. Do we have little issues? Of course. We are individuals. But we love each other and that is... awesome.

  2. I probably would have said "until you love yourself", but I think this rings equally true!

  3. Good one, Lena -- loving yourself is so true. :)

  4. Very true! I also feel you can't be love until you know what love really is. Until it is shown to you. Seeing a couple you admire (like your parents or an aunt & uncle) for their love for each other will help you understand what you want. And to know what you want will help you IMAGINE, like you said. Then you can find & be in love!

    Flounces & Hubbub

  5. I love my boyfriend of six years, but I wouldn't describe myself as being 'in love' with him. Or at any stage through our relationship. I have days where my heart surges when I think of him, but again I don't see that as being in love... I don't really know what I would describe that as. x

  6. Absolutely I agree with your statement! People need to realize that they deserve to be loved and treated like they are loved. Once you can imagine this love you can feel it.

    I also tell people to name 10 things they love about the person that have nothing to do with material things. That helped a friend of mine realize she wasn't really in love with her boyfriend at all, but her new bf well she can tell me 10+ things why she is in love. I think that ones a keeper!



Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin