Monday, April 01, 2013

Must-see: TIME magazine covers

Have you been following the groundbreaking, history-in-the-making coverage of the discussions taking place in the Supreme Court over marriage equality? Well, to celebrate the milestone, TIME magazine features profiles of gay couples in this week's issue. The cover story, shot by photographer Peter Hapak, gives readers a peek inside the lives of couples from California and New York...
Christopher & Jake: "We met in Brooklyn in 2008 and we pretty much knew a week in that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. Getting married always seemed like something that wasn’t an option and never would be so we tried not to think about it too much. We knew we were happily committed and we made do with that. Now, just because of the way things are changing so quickly, we might get married.” --Christopher
Elaine & Mignon: “For me, marriage was the natural next step in the progression of our lives together. Marriage represents stability. After getting married I found that people had more respect for our union, and it gave our relationship a greater sense of legitimacy in society.” --Elaine
Miguel & Alexander: "“When we had our commitment ceremony, I have to say I was overwhelmed by how incredible the experience was. As a young gay man coming out, like many others, I struggled with my family's lack of understanding. Having our families and loved ones there, supporting us and being so incandescently happy for us, was truly remarkable. For my family specifically, it really set it in stone for them that this is the person that I love and want to spend my life with.” --Miguel
I only have three word: It's. About. Time. Marriage equality for all has been a long time coming, and, frankly, it's long overdue in this country. It's a basic human right, and just seeing Facebook turn red gets me excited for a future of possibilities. Can you feel the excitement, friends? xoxo


  1. I wholeheartedly second that "It's.About.Time." I can only hope that these kinds of stories can bring greater awareness to those who struggle to see.

    That Girl in Pearls

  2. I love that you posted this! Thanks for the great excerpts!!

  3. Here, here–what a wonderful, uplifting post for this new week!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin