Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wedding do or don't: Colorful engagement rings

My mom didn't save her engagement ring, but from what she tells me, it was pretty simple. Nothing too flashy, and most definitely not colorful. Well, it looks like times have certainly changed, at least when it comes to 2013 engagement ring trends. It's all about abandoning the traditional in favor of the unique. "The newest crop of brides-to-be want a ring that showcases their individual personality," says McQueen Jewelry CEO Yosi Elison in an interview with Yahoo! Shine. Just in time for spring, here's a fun round-up of my six favorite colorful gems from Etsy... 
*Sky blue sapphire in white gold, $480
*Cognac diamond in white gold, $400
*Marquis diamond ring, $500
*Green rose cut diamond in yellow gold, $810
*Purple sapphire in yellow gold, $380

Your turn, friends: Would you choose a colorful engagement ring over a traditional one? Did you? Did your parents? What color would you choose? Any favorites -- or least favorites? Let's chat! xoxo

P.S. Wouldn't this rainbow engagement ring be fun too? Talk about a POP of color!

[Top photo by Braedon Photography]


  1. My engagement ring was an opal with a few small diamonds. I loved and still love it. We didn't have a lot of money back then, but eventually my husband (without me asking) bought me a diamond. I wear both with pride just because of the person who gave them to me and our shared story, not because one is a "big rock." I think I read somewhere that diamond solitaire engagement rings were a marketing scheme by DeBeeres years and years ago. The right hand ring for women was also (apparently) a way to get diamonds onto the hands of the fewer and fewer women who weren't getting married, lived common law or didn't believe in engagement rings. That's why I just try to wear jewelry that I like rather than something that society says I should wear as a status symbol.

  2. I love the cognac diamond in rose gold. So simple. Love it. I have a traditional princess cut diamond. It is not huge by any means, but it has nice clarity. My husband wants to upgrade it one day, but I don't want to. I like that it is reflective of where we were, socioeconomically speaking, at the time we were married.

  3. My mama never wore an engagement ring (I'm not even sure she had one!), but I ended up with a traditional, romantic setting in rose gold for a bit of myself. I must admit, I feel like it was meant for me!

  4. I wear a sapphire ring as the main stone and then there are 10 small small diamond channel set (5 on either side). I was born Sept 10. The Sapphire is for Sept and then the 10 small diamonds are for the date.
    My husband said it cost a lot less that way but he knew I loved sapphires and he decided what he liked and he sort of had them make it a certain way for me.
    I love it and have loved it for over 15 years.

  5. I think a ring should be both a gift and a representation of the relationship, so if a colorful stone is what you want, go for it! That being said, I did see a woman at my office who had a ruby wedding ring and there was a question over whether she was married or not. My response, "does it matter?" But you know, people like to gossip :)

    I wear my grandma's wedding band and my engagement ring matches that, so they are both diamonds with white-gold.

    I have to say, though, I love rough-cut stones!

  6. Those rings are beautiful, & usually when it comes to jewelry I like pieces that are kind of different. But I am a traditionalist when it comes to my future engagement ring...I want it to be simple so it goes with everything :)

    Flounces & Hubbub

  7. Those are simply gorgeous. I think that since people are turning against the sometimes scary diamond indutry (HELLO BLOOD DIAMOND)- it seems like a smart and economic move

  8. My engagement and wedding ring (a set) are diamonds. Small, simple. I love it.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin