Monday, August 19, 2013

Guest Post: 5 Fall Fashion Trends for Kids

The first thing I would like to do is thank Melissa for inviting me to write a guest post for her blog. I can’t express how excited I am about this opportunity! When she first asked me to write a guest post for her, I had a small panic attack. I mean, what could I possibly have to say that you would find interesting? Well, after a little bit of useless brainstorming, I decided to just write about what’s going on at my house right now. If you are a parent, then you are well aware of the fact that school will be starting back up in less than a month. This has me in a bit of a tizzy as I have done zero -- and I mean zero back-to-school shopping -- for my son. Now, I can get the school supply shopping knocked out in an hour or so, but the clothes shopping is what will take me a while. My son is going to be in kindergarten, and he can be pretty picky when it comes to the clothes he wears. Therefore, I have no choice but to take him with me when I shop for new clothes. This also means that I need to be in-the-know about what the fall fashion trends for boys are going to be this year. After all, my little guy needs to be in style, right? Although I only have boys in my house, I know that some of you have a little fashionista or two running around in your house. Therefore, you are probably wondering what the girl fashion trends are for this fall as you also prepare for your back-to-school shopping, right? So, here’s the skinny on what the latest fall fashion trends are for girls and boys this year...

Yes, layering is still very much in style and probably will be for a while for boys and girls alike. This year, experts are recommending a brave new type of layering by mixing prints and various types of textures with skirts, pants and tops. Just make sure the kiddos don’t get too carried away as they begin layering -- it is possible to wear too many clothes.

Hats are very much in this year, and they serve a dual purpose as they can make an excellent fashion statement while keeping our head cozy in the brisk fall air. It doesn't matter whether your child prefers a beanie, floppy knit or a ball cap -- they all work when paired with the right outfits.

The military and camo style clothing are making a big “splash” in the world of fashion right now. Whether it’s an olive green military-cut jacket for your daughter or a pair of camo pants for your son or vice versa, it looks like this is going to be a popular fall fashion trend for boys and girls.

Everyone needs at least one piece of leather in their wardrobe, especially kids looking to be in style this fall. Choosing a fashionable leather piece isn’t difficult for girls. Fashion designers have started incorporating leather pieces here and there when dressing their runway models. Leather jackets, pants, skirts, shirts with leather accents and even colored leather pieces will all make a statement this fall. The trick is to choose only one leather piece and dress around it -- keep it simple. For boys, leather jackets are back in, regardless of age. Based on what I've seen, we will start to see little toddler boys sporting leather jackets this fall.

Bold Colors and Textures
This is another one of the fall fashion trends that both boys and girls can enjoy. Designers are beginning to have fun with textures and bold colors on everything from shirts to shoes to pants. Some of the popular colors you may see children (and adults) sporting this fall include orange, emerald green, turquoise, yellow, red and more. The textures include velvet, leather, peplum, etc. Therefore, encourage your kiddos to experiment with new colors and textures this fall!
Overall, what I love about the new fall fashion trends the most is that designers are giving girls and boys both the ability to add variety and have fun with their wardrobes as they get ready to go back to school. What are you most excited about this year as you help your kiddos pick out their fall clothing?

--By Andrea K. Clark from Kids Formal. Read her blog, FOLLOW on Twitter and LIKE on Facebook.

(This post was sponsored by Kids Formal, the family-owned, Chicago-based children's clothing boutique specializing in formal attire. Thanks so much for continuing to support So About What I Said's wonderful sponsors!)

[Photos via We Heart It]


  1. This is too adorable, and coming just in time too. I like the camo idea, as well as being colorful.

  2. this is too cute. i think that these trends are def just as applicable to me and to these adorable totally following these trendy kiddos. ;)

  3. Thank you guys! As I was researching the new trends for this fall, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they really go for both kids and adults. As a mom, I feel like the new trends also make it fun and interesting for everyone in the family! :)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin