Monday, August 12, 2013

Sponsor Spotlight: Julie Ann Art

I'm the type of person who loves giving cards just as much as getting them. I've even be known to take my time, walking up and down the card aisle looking for just the right card to express my sentiment. After all, the right card has the power to express so perfectly exactly how you feel. And perhaps no one is more creative than Julie Ann. Her Etsy shop Julie Ann Art is full of awesome one-of-a-kind greeting cards for every occasion, including cards for anniversaries, babies, weddings, graduations, birthdays and just because. Read on for the secrets behind her creativity and why hand-written notes still matter in the digital age! xoxo

Keep in touch...
Official Web site: Julie Ann Art
Become a fan on Facebook
Follow on Twitter

Tell me about Julie Ann Art. What's the inspiration behind its launch?
Julie Ann Art is a business I started back in 2008 without really knowing what it was or what I wanted it to be. All I knew was that selling something I made sounded fun! Over the years, what started out designing greeting cards as a hobby turned into designing greeting cards for a living. Today Julie Ann Art is my full-time job, and that is something I never anticipated when I opened up my little Etsy shop five years ago.

When did you become interested in stationery and design?
I have always been, shall we say, an "art kid." My childhood was spent coloring, I took creative classes throughout high school and graduated college with a degree in photography. I was always creating and making cards and gifts myself, so the transition into creating a creative-based business felt rather natural to me.

Why do you think a hand-written note is so important, as opposed to a quick text or email?
In my opinion (and maybe I'm biased!), receiving a hand-written note in the mail is so much more special than receiving, say, a quick "Happy Birthday!" text. There is something so intimate -- and almost nostalgic at this point -- about opening that envelope and feeling the paper between your fingers. I really hope technology doesn't make society lose sight of this delicacy completely.

What are you top 3 tips for writing the perfect note?
1.) Reference an inside joke.
2.) Make it meaningful.
3.) Keep it short and sweet.

What is your favorite piece in your shop and why?
Is it weird that I don't really have one? I try to grow as I go, improving the quality of my work as I develop more as an artist over time. I think my more recent work excels over my older designs, but pinpointing a specific one would be too hard. In general, the most satisfaction I get out of any of my pieces is seeing other's reactions to them. Working at craft shows and hearing people laugh over a funny card I made is the best fulfillment I could get.

1 comment:

  1. Love Love Julie Ann Art. I still have my very first card I purchased from her for my journal. Such great work. Thanks for the interview.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin