Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Love Lounge: On control

Some people like to control things. Control what they eat. Control what they buy. Heck, they even want to control the weather. Maybe just by thinking -- extra, extra hard -- they can be the human Weather Channel. Change life. Change the course of their future. Everyone's future, even. My mother is one of those people. She's the Wonder Woman of her generation. A woman who's in charge and in control. All the time. Her feathers remain smooth and pretty, never rough or ruffled. Sometimes I think she could even part the seas if she thought hard enough. And thanks to a little science thing known as DNA, I, too, am one of those people. A mini Wonder Woman, if you will. I want to hold that little globe of the world in my hands, bark a few orders and watch the Earth spin in perfect, synchronous harmony.

And, really, what's wrong with that? I used to ask myself this question all the time, and each time, I was never able to come up with a suitable answer -- or, at the very least, an answer I liked. Why shouldn't we want to control, control and control? As humans, we're ingrained with the notion that we're infallible. Indestructible. Larger than life. By our very nature of taking charge, of being "in control,” aren't we setting ourselves up for defeat? Why does being in control make us feel so out of control in the end? Because the truth is, you can plan. You can anticipate. But what are you left with? A level of uncertainty and questions. That's life.
What do you think, friends? Do you try to control things? How has that worked out for you in the past? How has your relationship with changed, well, changed over the years? Easier now than when you were younger? More difficult? Let's chat... xoxo

[Photos via Le Love]


  1. I am a terrible control freak, but I am trying to lighten up a bit–or keep the things I can't change, no matter how hard I try, in perspective.

  2. Wonderful post, Melissa! I very much do like to be in control - I make lists, I plan, I think... It's both a blessing and curse to be that way!

    IN some ways in brings positive things into life like mistakes avoided, but it can also be stressful as life is not always able to be planned :)

  3. I do not like to see people trying to control other people. I do love to see people influence their friends in positive ways, but I don't think even good things should be forced on people.
    Being in control of a situation, or an event that I'm in charge of has always been very important to me, but as I get older and learn more I've realized that the stress and worry this causes me may not be worth it. I am trying to learn to enjoy company and entertain in more relaxed, low key ways.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin