Monday, September 09, 2013

Sponsor Spotlight: {tabulation designs}

I've known several people who crochet, and they've always fascinated me with their creativity and skill -- not to mention their patience! They had the ability to start with just pieces of yarn and end up with beautiful works of art. Tabitha put her creative mind to work when she opened her Virginia-based shop {tabulation designs}, which carries her unique line of cell phone cases, accessories and home goods. A lover of all things travel, coffee and good food, Tabitha leans toward warm, vibrant colors and patterns. Read on for more of her awesome tips and how she became interested in crafting and design! xoxo

Keep in touch...
Official Web site: {tabulation designs}
Become a fan on Facebook
Follow on Twitter

Get inspired on Pinterest
Tell me about {tabulation designs}. What's the inspiration behind its launch?
I decided to start {tabulation designs} during a particularly difficult period in my life, as a way to positively deal with a variety of physically and emotionally trying experiences. In the midst of a chronic Lyme Disease diagnosis, a thyroid condition and a broken engagement, crafting became a refuge, a way to feel empowered and sustain my inner peace. I began to notice that people would smile and laugh when they saw me crocheting in public. Some would ask me if I could teach them the art or if they could purchase a finished item. My friends had been pestering me for years to start a small business, and it just seemed like the right time. "Tabulation" was one of my many childhood nicknames (created by my dad) as a variation of my given name, Tabitha. The other nicknames my parents gave me are just too embarrassing to put out on the Internet!

The core principle of my business is simplicity, which is visible in the basic black-and-white theme of the product labeling. The {tabulation} brand stands for uniqueness, which sometimes borders on eccentricity, and FUN -- this is where the color comes in! Bright colors and creative patterns make me happy, and I hope they'll make you all happy too :)

How did your interest in design and crafting develop?
My mom taught me the art of crochet about four years ago (thanks, Mom!). I also make beaded jewelry and recently started embroidery and knitting.

What are some ways that people can still look chic for less?
THRIFT STORES! My parents always bought second-hand out of financial necessity, but I never dropped the habit and about 70% of my clothes still come from thrift shops. You'd be amazed what you can find -- for example, I bought an Armani blazer for $7 at a Goodwill down the street from my house. It takes some patience and a good eye for fashion because you will not always find something on every trip. Extra tip: Buy out of season. I will soon post pictures on my Web site of two beautiful vintage-style winter coats I bought this summer for $10 each.

What is your favorite piece in your shop and why?
I'd have to say my favorite item is the Forest Green French Press Cozy because it encompasses three of my favorite things: the color green, coffee and tea. I love the "woodsy" color scheme and the fact that it's wool, so it keeps your beverage warm even if it gets wet. I see that it's a favorite among other Etsy enthusiasts as well.


  1. me too, christina!! Tabitha makes it look so easy.

  2. So cute to prepare a cloth for your thermostat.The idea seems great would like to try it how did you prepared it?

    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin