Monday, October 28, 2013

Love Lounge: The beauty of blogging

It’s funny how time and distance can sometimes give you a BIG dose of perspective. I'll be celebrating So About What I Said's fifth anniversary next month, and I've been thinking a lot about blogging lately. SO! I thought I'd share my perspective on blogging from a few years ago as a way of ushering in next month's big celebration...

Blogging is a lot like therapy. It’s an odd sort of marriage: You’re both the patient seeking guidance and solace, and you’re the therapist who claims to have all the answers and always has a tissue for you. I’ve always worn my emotions on my sleeve, but have I really showed that whole sleeve to the world?

I find myself openly and willingly letting my innermost feelings flow (much to the chagrin of my mother, who refuses to read my blog regularly). It’s almost with this feeling of wild abandon because, truthfully, I’m getting to a place in my life where I don’t have anything to hide. Isn't there a moment in everyone’s life where keeping quiet and keeping secrets becomes even scarier than the plain old truth, whatever that truth may be?

I've never been one of those people who Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City called “emotionally slutty” -- those who reveal too much, too soon, or in my case, maybe not exactly at the right time or in the right way. I never wanted that to be me. And frankly, it scares me a bit sometimes that I’m so forthcoming with details of my life and the inner workings of my mind. With a few clicks of the keys and a push of the publish button, my stories suddenly become the world’s stories. Would someone see it as pathetic? Because that’s not me -- or at least I never thought that was me until I spread my feelings all over the page.
But again, that’s the beauty of blogging, isn’t it? It gives you a chance, in your own little corner of the world, to at least begin to squelch certain stereotypes, whatever you feel passionate about. It gives you an outlet for your voice to be heard. So should I post all the inner workings of my mind on my blog? I’m not sure, but I think I would regret it if I didn’t. Or maybe I’m just thinking too much again ... I do have a tendency to do that sometimes too.

What about you? Do you ever wear your heart on your sleeve too much? What happens when you let your emotions get the better of you? Do you ever say things and then regret them later?

[Via Le Love]


  1. I don't reveal my emotions too often, but when I do, it's really out there! The beauty of blogging is the ability to show as much or little of yourself as possible!

    Chic 'n Cheap Living

  2. I like to think that I respectfully wear my heart on my sleeve. I talk about a lot of things that happen in my life and explore my emotions, but I like to do it in a way that it isn't TMI or where I start bashing others for the sake of my feelings. My husband doesn't read my blog because he knows how open I can get and I think he fears that I would talk about him when I get mad, but I never would.

    Congrats on your 5th anniversery.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin