Wednesday, November 13, 2013

5 Life Lessons I've Learned From Blogging

Although So About What I Said won't officially be five until tomorrow, I didn't have to think twice about enjoying a week-long celebration (I do the same thing with my own birthdays, naturally...). Yesterday, I tried to picture myself and my blog five years from now (how did I do?), so today I thought it only appropriate to wax poetic on the little life lessons I've learned over the last five years. These past five years have been one wild ride, that's for sure, and these five lessons tell me that I've learned far more than a few handy HTML and design tricks...

Life -- and happiness -- is all about those little moments
Sure, we all feel like it's those huge, sweeping movie-like moments that define us and who we ultimately become, but what would happen if we looked a bit deeper? Just below the surface. I know we can't help but be changed by the big moments, but if I've learned anything over the last five years -- and even since my father died -- it's to be open to those not-so-big moments. Like enjoying the paper on a Saturday morning. Or a fun game of Yahtzee. Or even a tall glass of root beer (or Diet Pepsi...). Those moments will no doubt add up to loads of happiness.

With anything in life, you have to start somewhere
When I first started blogging in 2008, I was terrified. In fact, I kept putting it off for a good month because it all just seemed so overwhelming. Where the heck would I start? How could I even do it? I saw all these big, popular bloggers, and I'll admit, I got down on myself before I even started. But! The important thing is that I did start. Maybe just getting started is the hardest part in life, and once you cross that hurdle, everything else seems like a piece of cake in comparison. Who knows where I'd be right now if I didn't start my blog five years ago. The lesson here: Just do it.

In life, not everyone is going to like you
And -- shocker!! -- that's perfectly OK. Don't beat yourself up over it. You can't make everyone like you. I know there are people who don't like me (I'm looking at you, Anonymous...), but I've learned to accept that. People not liking you doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you have some deep-seeded character flaw that needs changing ASAP. What's important is that you stay true to yourself and never compromise who you are just to try and win the approval of others. It's not worth it. After all, we saw what happened in Mean Girls, remember?

But that doesn't mean that you can't be nice
I'll make this one simple: Life is just too short to spend it with a constant frown on your face. Not only does it make you look like the Grinch, but it's also the surest way to rack up lots of enemies. A little kindness goes a long way. And really...who has the time for enemies? I sure don't. There may be people that you don't like or people that you don't get along with, but that doesn't mean you can't be at least civil to them. We're all adults, remember?

I've still got a lot to learn in life
Yes, I may have come a long way in the last five years, but I'm sure of one thing: My journey is far from over. I suppose it's never really over, is it? There's still so much left to learn, so much life to be lived. I've made some mistakes over the years, have a few regrets and wish I'd done some thing differently, but all that means I'm still learning -- and living -- and, really, that's all we can ask for, isn't it? I mean, that's all we really want in life. I know that's exactly what I want.
Now that I think about it, these five little lessons are so, well, little after all, are they? How long have you been blogging, friends? What is the #1 lesson you've learned? Any advice for new bloggers? What are your blogging goals for the future? Let's share! xoxo


  1. Hi Melissa !! been catching up on blogs and yours is one of my very FAVES! Those are amazing life lessons..... the pure of heart always make the world a better place!! Much love ox

  2. great lessons! im so happy to have "met" you through blogging. it's such a fun community :) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

  3. Great lessons and great blog! :) xoxo

  4. I have been blogging for nearly 4 years now (where did time go1?) and still feel that I have a lot to learn.

    I agree with every thing you talked about on your list. lLfe is too short to waste time worrying about what other people think, if you want to do something, go for it!

    Happy Birthday to your blog,here's to many more blog posts!

  5. I tip my hat to you. What you've done in 5 years is remarkable. Not only that, you did it with all those anonymous haters. I blood still boils over their comments and cattiness.

  6. since i want this as a career, i tend to get too serious about blogging. sometimes i need to stop focusing on followers, stats, etc, and remember how much i love helping others with my posts!

  7. I love these lessons–and your persistence and perspective!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin