Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Letters To My Future Husband: Letter #169.

Dear Mr. Melissa Blake:
Well, Sweetpea, I just realized that I haven't written to you in six months. And, like the over-analytical type that I am, you know I'm wondering and guessing and questioning what that all means. Is it bad? Is it good? Does it mean that I'm doomed? Does it mean that we'll never meet? Seeing as how I'm celebrating So About What I Said's fifth birthday this week -- the very place that saw the birth of these letters -- I suppose it's only fitting that I "check in" this week.

Wow. Five years. How could that much time have gone by? So much has changed, and yet...so much has stayed the same. Karen, a Facebook reader, commented recently that I don't seem to change much, and, well, I suppose she's right. I don't change much. In fact, I'm pretty consistent. Maybe it has something to do with my deathly fear of change, but I've always been this way. But is it really healthy? Maybe not so much. It's comfortable, sure, but it doesn't leave much room for growth, and you know, Sweetpea, that I'm all about growing and learning and evolving.

Karen also challenged me to think about where I'll be five years from now -- to envision my life, where I live and what I'm doing. I'll admit it -- I was a bit reluctant at first. I mean, the very nature of looking into the future is all about change and thinking about the unknown. That scared me something fierce, let me tell you. And when I'm scared? Well, I tend to turn my wheelchair up to full speed and zoom in the opposite direction. But that's just human nature, isn't it? We want to stay safe and comfortable, remember? However, in the name of growing, maybe it wouldn't hurt just to take a teeny, tiny peek into said future. I'll be 37 in five years -- wow, that seems old, doesn't it? I hope to still be blogging -- it will be interesting to see how blogging itself evolves over the next five years. I hope to have written for a few more magazines, and finally got an acceptance from Glamour.
And yes, this probably sounds incredibly cliche and sappy like a Hallmark commercial, but I really, truly just want to be happy. When all is said and done, that should be everyone's life goal. Happiness is so rare and fleeting, so when we're lucky enough to experience it, we've got to capture it and hold on to it for dear life. We can't ever let it go because who knows when that same sense of happiness will come around again? And, if we're smart, we'll make sure to feel that happiness in our souls. Every day.

I sincerely hope you'll be a part of my happiness over the next five years. I feel like I know you, but I've never met you. You're not in my life -- at least as far as I know -- and yet I feel like you're with me all the time, if that makes any sense. It's that connection that I'm looking forward to making. The connection of a lifetime that changes everything. I'm looking forward to meeting you, Sweetpea. Until we meet... xoxo

[Photos via Le Love]


  1. well you deserve to be happy chickadee! so keep on keepin on! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

  2. Change is scary. I grew up hating it, and I would cry myself to sleep when my mom would rearrange our furniture in our home because I was just used to things the way they were, and it bothered me to have to readjust... BUT I have recently realized that with change comes growth, and while it's scary, still, it's also exhilarating. :) I'm glad to see this column revived!

  3. Lovely letter, Melissa. Change is scary and I can't even begin to think where I will be 5 years from now ... but it will be interesting to follow you and see who and what awaits you in the future:)

    Happy thoughts to you and Mr Melissa

  4. you will find the husband God has planned especially for you when you least expect it ! and he will be so blessed to find you ! ox

  5. Hi Melissa, I think this is lovely :-) to think I was crazy setting up a email account to my future husband sending him emails since 2007 (password will be given to the FH), till now I haven't met him, not losing hope though , Life's to short not to be happy :-) Right ? xxx


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin