Thursday, December 05, 2013

Three things I learned from my Internet-free Thanksgiving

It's hard to believe it's already been a whole week since Thanksgiving, isn't it? As you know, friends, I made a vow to have a clean holiday. I was going Internet-free after feeling overwhelmed and bogged down by the Web for far too long. I was going to complete this Digital Detox even if it killed me. Well, lucky for me, it didn't do me in. In fact, it helped me -- in more ways than I ever imagined. Here are the top three things I learned from unplugging...

The universe is not going to implode on itself
Things move so fast online, so I thought that even one day away would spell a death sentence for me. For so long, I'd tricked myself into believing that I couldn't take even one day off without my universe never, ever making sense again. But guess what? The Internet will still be there when you come back. Trust me, it's not going anywhere. I thought I'd be missing important news, must-read emails or urgent blog business, but when I finally did check my email, most of it was either junk mail or things that didn't require my immediate attention over the holiday weekend. Turns out, other people probably weren't being slaves to their computers and phones either.

Time with family is what matters the most
Sure, I had a pretty good handle on this before, but we all need a reminder every once and awhile, don't we? We spent a lot of Thanksgiving Day just lying around and reading, but there was just something about doing it together that made it extra special. It's those little moments, after all.

Taking time to slow down now will help you be more productive in the long-run
This week, I've felt more focused and on top of things, and I'm pretty sure my day off had something to do with it. As my father used to say, my brain got a nice little reboot and was able to start fresh. Sometimes just giving yourself a teeny, tiny bit of distance from something gives you a huge dose of perspective when you get back to it. You have a chance to de-stress. You have a chance to relax. And then you come back stronger, bigger and better than ever.
So! What do you think, friends? I'm pretty darn proud of myself for lasting the whole day. Have you ever tried this not-so-little experiment? How'd things go? What did you learn? Any handy tips you can share for others who might be trying the same thing? xoxo

[Bottom photo via We Heart It]


  1. Yey good for you - I actually found my eight days away from the internet (well I kinda of tweeted occasionally when we were out and had phone signal) when we were vacationing in a cabin out in the middle no nowhere (didn't even have a TV) to actually be easier then I had thought. It was really fun getting back to board games, reading and just talking to each other.

  2. YES! Exactly, Rachael -- i thought i'd be chomping at the bit to get back online, but i wasn't. i think i'm going to try and do it more often!

  3. i need to work on NOT being online all the time :) it'd be nice to take a break. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

  4. I actually tried this experiment with you and did surprisingly well! Thanks so much for the idea! It felt great to rise above it all and let everyone else *not* spend time w/their families while they were busy updating their online presence. Me? I was happily hanging out w/mine (and reading physical tabloids) to even want to update anything :).. **Keep up the great work!!

    (PS- I wrote about my Internet-free T-day here:


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin