Monday, January 06, 2014

Frozen bubbles in winter

When temperatures dropped to 9 degrees last month, Washington-based photographer Angela Kelly saw the perfect opportunity to capture winter at its finest. Armed with her camera, her seven-year-old son and some homemade soapy water, she ventured outside to blow bubbles. The results? The smaller bubbles froze in mid-air, quickly shattering to the ground. The larger bubbles kept their shape and formed patches of ice crystals, resulting in these gorgeous photos...

"We noted how they would freeze completely before the sun rose but that once the sun was in view they would defrost along the tops or cease freezing altogether," Kelly told KOMO News. "We also noted how they would begin to deflate and implode in on themselves making them look like alien shapes or in some cases shatter completely leaving them to look like a cracked egg."

Aren't they beautiful, friends? It's as if you're peeking inside a snow globe and watching winter come to life! You can purchase prints of some of these gorgeous shots through Kelly's Etsy shop.

P.S. Soap bubbles in nature, bubble portraits, women in bubbles and landmarks in bubbles. Also, remember how much I love snow globes? :)

[Via My Modern Met]


  1. I just went and tried it. Some of the bubbles broke and shattered to pieces. I tried to get a picture but most of them broke before I could. Boo :-(

  2. Those are absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing.

    onebreath @

  3. So magical–it makes me miss the cold and snow! Until, of course, I think about what -5, 10, 20 feels like...

  4. Wow...okay with the frigid temperatures coming to New York tomorrow and a dollar store that might just happen to have bubbles down the street from me I might have to try this out!!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin