Thursday, January 16, 2014

Let's talk guilty pleasure songs!

Maybe you only speak of them in hushed conversations. Maybe you discretely hide the CDs under your bed for fear of someone finding them. Or, maybe you've even tried to go cold turkey and give up your addiction, only to feel the cravings return the very next day. Oh, yes, you realize, you're dealing with a powerful force -- something that is much stronger than sheer willpower and, honestly, something you know you'll never give up.

And the more you think about it, maybe you don't want to.

Guilty pleasure songs.

We all have them. More than one, actually (Oh, come on, quit hiding your head in shame...). In fact, chances are, you're probably listening to one as you're reading this. Am I right? I thought so. The truth is, those sugary, poptastic, can't-get-out-of-your-head songs have made their mark on our culture. Glee even devoted an entire episode to the wonders of guilty pleasures last season -- those songs and groups you're too embarrassed to admit you love and sing at the top of your lungs in the privacy of your car.

But me? You know I'm never too embarrassed to celebrate all my favorite things from TV to movies to music, so I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite guilty pleasure albums today. Here are my top six faves...
1. The Partridge Family because, really, who doesn't want to get happy?
2. Pure '80s Love -- I challenge anyone to belt out When I'm With You louder than I do.
3. One Direction -- I'll always be a sucker for a boy band.
4. Paris Hilton -- I was actually surprised by how much I enjoy this album. I still listen to it and sing along!
5. Carly Rae Jepsen -- she had me at her album cover, which remi nds me of cotton candy. What's not to love?
6. Britney Spears -- anything from her early years, especially Stronger and Oops!...I Did I Again.

Your turn, friends: What guilty pleasures are currently in heavy rotation on your iPod (or your CD player, if you're old-school like I am...)? Which ones are you really embarrassed to admit? Go ahead...remember, no judging here! xoxo

[Top photos via We Heart It]


  1. I have every song by Britney Spears and all the Spice Girls hits! =)


  2. I still dance to Barbie girl and baby got back :D
    nice post, Mellisa

  3. I refuse to feel guilty for enjoying the things I enjoy. ...I am also pretty much always mocked for my musical tastes, so there's that as well.... BUT! Yeah, Brit and the Spice Girls. And BSB. I love all of that. Love!

  4. Chloe -- forgot about the Spice Girls...looooove Wannabe!

  5. That's great, Kim -- I love your attitude!

  6. Good one, Melissa. Yes, we all love the 80's music. Janet Jackson, Paula know, big hair and tacky clothes. Love them all!

  7. Savage Garden. Especially Truly Madly Deeply. Really that whole album though!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin