Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Help! What's your #1 decluttering tip?

Since we've been stuck in the house for practically an entire week now, I've been trying to get some cleaning done. I mean, my mother has been zooming around the house like the Energizer Bunny -- cleaning out her bins, sorting mail and putting laundry away as if it were an Olympic sport -- so I really couldn't let a woman some 25 years older show me up. It was a pride thing, really. Well, that and the fact that I sort of let my Great Clean of 2013 fall by the wayside once the summer ended. You remember, friends, I started with such steam, with such gusto, and then...? Everything just seemed to fizzle out...to...nothing.

But no more! Over these last couple weeks, I've really been trying to get my head in the decluttering game. In fact, that's what I'll be doing for the rest of the day today, which is why I'd love your advice!
What are your best tips for decluttering? How do you stay on top of things so they don't pile up? What has worked for you in the past? What hasn't? And, what projects are currently on your to-do list, friends?

P.S. If I don't come back, you'll know I've drowned in all those piles, haha!! :)

[Photos via Pinterest and We Heart It]


  1. i usually like to start in one area of my room and then i dont allow myself to move onto something else until i am satisfied with my cleaning efforts!

  2. I am always decluttering, because I am to lazy on doing it on a daily routine. I utterly fail at the whole "prophylactic" organisation in RL. :D

    A few tipps for you...
    a.) First you should only concentrate on one room at the time.
    b.) Then, before you even start doing the actual decluttering, you need to put some awesome music on. ( I like listening to songs like "What's the frequency, Kenneth..." from R.E.M. for example)
    c.) Get a bottle of water, so you won't dehydrate while working.
    d.) Do a certain amount of time only. ( 1 straight hour a day. Or for 15 minutes every 2 hours until you hit the 1 hour mark.)
    e.) Find a 'focal' point where you can start, and work clockwise... step by step.
    f.) Take (digital) before & after pics of the area you worked that day. (you can delete them later, after seeing how awesome the change is)

    Follow the royal Peach!

  3. I've been taking advantage of a new 'storage-by-the-box' service that collects from my door. It means I can store my winter clothes in summer and store my summer clothes (and my bike!) in winter. It's great!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin