Monday, February 03, 2014

An Open Letter To My Mother

Dear Ms. Bear:
It's a pretty well-known fact that you don't read my blog regularly. In fact, you've even admitted to going days without peeking at my little place in Cyberspace, despite getting my posts sent to your email. Every day.

But, that's OK. Why? Because I know the direct route to your Achilles heel. You. Yourself. Translation: You love reading about yourself. If it's about you, chances are that you'll read it. So, please forgive me, because I'm shamelessly going to exploit that little secret today. Trust me, though, Ms. Bear, it's all for your own good. I promise. After all, who takes care of you better than I do? I thought so.

Listen, I'll keep this simple and get straight to the point (because, really, who knows how long I can grab your attention...): You need to slow down! Notice how that sentence is in bold? Yes, it's that serious. You've been through a lot in the last few weeks -- from a fall to a yucky cold to Saturday night's collision of your toe and that piece of wood from one of the kitchen drawers -- and you need to give your body some time to heal and rest. Now, I know -- rest is pretty difficult for you. Honestly, you've never been particularly good at it. You're so good at so many things; resting just isn't one of them. But right now? Well, you've just got to buckle down and force yourself to take a time-out.
I know you're probably tired of hearing this from me. After all, it's nothing I haven't told you a thousand times before, but for some reason, my message has always fallen short of reaching you. Maybe you didn't want to hear it. Maybe you were in some sort of denial. Or maybe you just had too much other noise going on in your head. But I want you to know just how much I worry about you. Yes, w-o-r-r-y. You know how you used to worry about me when I was a kid? Well, that's sort of how I worry about you these days. I just want you to be OK.

You're a strong lady, but even strong ladies need to take care of themselves. I'm sure even Wonder Woman takes a night or two off, throwing her cape in the closet and settling in for a DVR marathon of Downton Abbey. It doesn't mean you're weak, as you sometimes wonder about yourself. It's actually a sign of strength. To admit that you're a vulnerable human who sometimes needs to take a break from moving those massive mountains can be such a liberating and freeing thing. Just give it a chance. That's all I ask. Will you try? I know you can do it. You're a strong lady, and I hope you know I love you more than anything. Let's get better, OK? xoxo


  1. Tell your mom I agree! It is VERY important to take a break now and again. Last semester through college I discovered that, in order to stay sane, the trick was a hot, soapy bath every Friday night. Quickly followed by a glass of wine and a romantic comedy.

    I felt so much better about life when I would wake up Saturday morning I could get twice as much done.

    So yes, breaks are important. :)

  2. Awwww this is a sweet letter - and I hope she reads it. I hope she slows down and takes time to herself too.

    Happy Monday to you!

  3. What a sweet letter to your mom! I hope that she does take time off and relax as well. Downton Abbey marathon it is then!

    Chic 'n Cheap Living

  4. I agree! Your mom is amazing but needs to take some time for herself. Downton marathon? Yes, please!

  5. Ms. Bear, (Mama Bear) LISTEN TO YOUR DAUGHTER !! Our children become our wisest advice givers! VERY SMART Melissa....make her take a time-out -very good daughter! PS- the kitty pics you posted of the furry family members are adorable!


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin