Thursday, April 17, 2014

Four movie soundtracks that describe my life...

Soundtracks, much like movies, can tell the stories of our lives. John Hughes knew this, and he used the power of music and lyrics to tap into a generation of the heartbroken and the lovesick. Since then, movie -- and even TV -- soundtracks can pierce our hearts like no other, sometimes reflecting our lives even better than the actual movie itself. The right selection of songs, brought together on one CD (yes, a CD...) can translate to pure magic. At least that's how it's always been for me. Soundtracks seemed to know exactly what I was feeling, even when I couldn't put said feelings into words.

But no matter how many years go by, there are four soundtracks that I play on repeat. Here's a peek at my list...
My Best Friend's Wedding is not only one of my favorite movies, but the songs of my life. Songs about someone not seeing the real you ("You Don't Know Me"), songs about wanting to make the world a better place ("What The World Needs Now Is Love"), songs about yearning for someone ("Wishin' and Hopin' and "Tell Him") and songs about that moment when you realize that, despite everything that's happen, you're going to be alright ("I'll Be Okay").
Ally McBeal is, hands-down, one of my all-time favorite TV shows. There was a certain quirkiness to Ally that I could see in myself, even if I was only in high school during the show's heyday. And of course the soundtracks tugged at my heartstrings. Songs about the power of that first meeting ("Chances Are"). Songs about broken hearts ("How Can You Mend A Broken Heart"). Songs about feeling alone in the world ("Alone Again (Naturally)"). Songs that make you question the whole guy/girl friend dynamic (Can We Still Be Friends?).
I'm not sure when I saw Sunset Boulevard for the first time, but I do remember one thing very clearly: I was hooked from the beginning. OK, so before you freak out, I'm not saying that I'm an exact carbon copy of Norma Desmond -- though my sister has said I am like her a time or two. But if we're all being honest, I think we'd find a little bit of Norma lives in all of us. The songs certainly do. Songs about being yourself and being strong and powerful ("With One Look"). Songs about career optimism ("This Time Next Year"). Songs about trying to resist someone, but knowing it's futile in the end (Girls Meets Boy"). Songs about starting over ("New Ways To Dream").
And finally, a fan favorite...The Bodyguard. The late Whitney Houston delivers those powerhouse vocals as only a true diva can -- and of course backed by plenty of soul and heart. Songs about never-ending love ("I Will Always Love You"). Songs about being so desperate for someone ("I Have Nothing"). Songs where you want nothing more than to run into someone's arms ("Run To You"). You know, basically the whole album, really.

Your turn, friends: What soundtracks define your life and why? Do you find yourself listening to it over and over? Have your favorites changed over the years? Do you think certain soundtracks are just perfect for certain periods in your life? xoxo

[Top photo via We Heart It]

P.S. The 20 best movie soundtracks of all time

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I love "My Best Friend's Wedding" great movie and soundtrack.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin