Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ms. Bear's Kitchen:'s what's for dinner!

What's that, you say? Ms. Bear has made something she has never made before? Will wonders never cease?

Ask anyone who knows me: I have several staples that I make all the time -- toast and deli meat, fruit compote, sloppy joes, pasta salad, chicken from the deli and rice and beans. Hence, when Melissa asked me to do this column, I was rather shocked. But, the good news is she has made me branch out a bit, so I don't look incompetent with what I make!

Today's recipe is called Farmer's Casserole. Ironically enough, I had just taken one of those silly Facebook quizzes that Melissa and I are addicted to. The quiz was about the occupation I would have had in a previous life, and guess what? I got farmer! Right after that is when I saw the recipe, so I figured it was meant to be. And, we have been wanting to have a breakfast-for-dinner night, so here we are!!! Here's the recipe...the only thing I changed was I used leftover spiral ham instead of ham chunks, and I added some green pepper...

*3 cups frozen hash browns
*3/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
*1 cup cooked ham, diced
*1/4 cup chopped green onions
*4 eggs, beaten
*1 can, 12 oz., evaporated milk
*1/4 t. pepper
*1/8 t. salt

Grease a 2 qt. baking dish. Put in the hash browns, evenly, and add the cheese, ham and green onions, and peppers if you are using them. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, evaporated milk, pepper and salt. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture. You can cover and refrigerate the dish if you want for a few hours or overnight.

I just stuck it in the oven for 45 minutes....if you are baking it chilled, you bake for around an hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve with whole grain English muffins and strawberries for a nice breakfast-for-dinner treat! Yee-haw....enjoy!!!!!


  1. I'll admit to being in a bit of a cooking rut too, so this is a welcome suggestion. Looks tasty!

  2. Great idea...looks delicious and easy to prepare. Will be trying this one very soon.


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin