Wednesday, June 18, 2014

In The Pursuit of Happiness: My grandmother on simple joys

My grandmother was a pretty smart lady. She would have been 93 yesterday -- can you believe that?!?! I won't pretend to be as good of a storyteller as she was. It seems like she never ran out of exciting stories to tell...stories about growing up in Munising, Michigan, or stories about her time in nursing school shortly before World War II. I remember how much I used to look forward to those stories when we'd go visit them every summer and Christmas.
Another one of my favorite things? Games! I think I got my love of games from her. It became our little tradition every time we'd visit: After my mom, dad and Janelle left for the beach (you all know I'm not much of a beach person with those scary sharks and all...), my grandma and I would finish our lunch and then we'd pick a game to play that afternoon. I usually chose Monopoly and we'd play until one of us went bankrupt. I remember one game in particular where Grandma kept rolling doubles and she'd get this huge smile on her face every time she rolled those dice! It was the sight of simple joys at its best!

I miss that smile! Make sure you do something special for your grandparents today...they're pretty special people, aren't they?!?!?

1 comment:

  1. Simple memories, they are the best.
    Grandparents too are the best.
    pve

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin