Thursday, June 05, 2014

Must-see: The Fault In Our Stars

*Disclaimer: You knew this post was coming; it was inevitable, really. And this is just the beginning of what I suspect will be quite a few posts on this amazing story. You've been warned. Okay?

Will you be one of the millions (OK, maybe not millions, but close to it...) of moviegoers who pack the theater, tissue box in hand, when The Fault In Our Stars opens tomorrow?

The movie, based on the YA novel by John Green, tells the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters, two teens who fall in love after meeting at a cancer support group. I'm reading the book right now and have been watching the movie trailer on a continuous loop for the last month. All too often movies "Hollywood-ize" books, but it looks like everything stayed refreshingly true to the book this time, especially the dialogue, which is so important in telling Hazel and Gus' story. The Hollywood Reporter gave the film a glowing review, saying:
"The greatest strengths of the film clearly come from Green's novel, which resolutely refuses to become a clich├ęd cancer drama, creating instead two vibrant, believable young characters filled with humor and intelligence, both facing complex questions and issues unimaginable even to people twice their age."

Are you excited yet? All I know is that I must not use up all my tears in finishing the book! Are you heading to the theater this weekend? Share your reviews in the comments! xoxo

4 comments:

Jillian Manesh said...

yes! i read this book and cried A LOT! cant wait to see the movie too. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Dara McFarlane said...

I want to see that movie very bad. I'm debating whether I need to read the book before I let myself watch the movie or not, though.

Melissa Blake said...

oh, dara! definitely read the book!!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

omgosh loved this book and cannot wait to see(cry through) the movie!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin