Tuesday, June 17, 2014

On The Frisky: 4 ways The Fault In Our Stars got it right...

Remember when I instagrammed the above photo with the caption "Here we gooo," and warned you to brace yourself for lots of talk and reflection about a little book (and movie!) called The Fault In Our Stars? Well, it all starts now! I wrote about four ways I can identify with Hazel for The Frisky yesterday. Hazel’s story was my story: As I was reading the book, I kept identifying with Hazel and her story, especially when it came to her cancer and how her medical past has affected her life – both as a child and as a young woman. Here's an excerpt...
“She seemed to be mostly a professional sick person, like me, which made me worry that when I died they’d have nothing to say about me except that I fought heroically, as if the only thing I’d ever done was Have Cancer.” 
Translation: I am not disabled. I am a person with a disability. There’s a huge difference, and it’s something I’ve been trying to reconcile even more as I get older. It’s a very fine line to walk (no pun intended), but I am more than my disability; it’s part of me, but it’s not all of me. Growing up, I never wanted to be known as The Girl In The Hospital Bed With Messy Hair And A Bunch of IV Chords Sticking Out of Her Arm. I’m so much more than that. Plus, it just wasn’t a good look for me. It’s still not.
You can read the rest of the essay here. What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts! xoxo

P.S. Read my other pieces on The Frisky herehereherehere and here. Enjoy! :)


  1. That was a really touching essay. It's always such a wonderful feeling to find a story that speaks to you like that. Thanks for writing! :)


Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin