Thursday, August 21, 2014

Savoring Summer #3: 6 fun movies

If you're like me, you spent a lot of your childhood summers watching movies. You logged countless hours in front of the tube in an effort to escape the sweltering summer heat. You watched movie after movie -- way back in the day when you actually had to go to the video store and rent said movies -- but there was always something extra special about those films that perfectly captured the spirit of the summer. The wonder. The wide-eyed innocence. The sheer terror (you'll see...). So, with that in mind, I give you my six favorite summer-themed movies...
*My Girl: I watched this movie for the first time in years over the summer and, yes, I almost cried. On multiple occasions. But for all the heartbreak and loss in the film, there are beautiful moments of love and self-discovery, of growing up and learning about life.

*Stand By Me: Perhaps one of the first "buddy movies," I've seen this one hundreds of times and it never gets old. And who doesn't love seeing a young Jerry O'Connell?

*Now and Then: If Stand By Me had taken place 20 years later and starred girls instead of guys. Besides the fact that this movie has an awesome soundtrack, I love this story that follows the lives of four friends who share ups and downs over the course of one magical summer. Plus, I can't get enough of that early '70's fashion.

*Jaws: Ahhh, now we get to that sheer terror -- or maybe it's just me? Either way, I scream every time I watch this movie. And cover my eyes. Every single time. Yes, I know it's not a real shark, but c'mon...it LOOKS real. And scary.

*Shag: I know I've mentioned this one before, but it's my favorite movie of all time, so how can I not include it here? Anyone who's about to go off to college can relate to the whirlwind of emotions Luanne, Carson, Melaina and Pudge faced during their last hurrah together on the shores of Myrtle Beach. Those cute boys are just a bonus!

*The Sandlot: Who doesn't have a soft spot for Smalls and his group of rag-tag, baseball-obsessed friends? It's the kind of movie that just makes you want to play hooky for the rest of the day and do all those fun things you loved doing as a kid!

Now it's your turn, friends: What's your favorite summer-themed movie? Why do you love it? Any picks you'd add to this list? Did you spend summer days watching movies when you were growing up? Happy viewing! xoxo

[First photo via We Heart It]

3 comments:

  1. aww i loved Now and Then, The Sandlot and Stand by Me! it's been years since i have seen those movies! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Sandlot! Best summer movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did love My Girl, but my favorite one of my very favorites is The Wedding Planner with J-Lo. Also MAID IN MANHATTAN. I've watched it so many times! LOL The movie that made me laugh the most was THE HEAT - Sandra bullock and Melissa McCarthy. Can't wait to rent TAMMY. Don't think it is out on DVD yet but it looks funny :)

    ReplyDelete

Your lovely comments make my day so much sweeter! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

xoxo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin